Learn How and When to Ask for Help with These Tips
Asking for help isn’t easy. It’s sometimes common for feelings like shame or embarrassment to arise from asking for something, because we have often been taught to take care of ourselves and not rely on others. However, seeking help and lending a hand to others is human nature, and it’s necessary. The truth is, everyone needs some assistance sometimes—but it’s not always clear when to ask for help. We have a few tips on how you can determine if it’s time to reach out to others.
The psychology of asking for help
Social psychologist Heidi Grant explains how the fear of rejection is often what makes people hesitant to ask for help. However, research shows that humans are basically programmed to want to give back and help others, so that fear is often unfounded.
Human beings have a need to help other people and want to feel that they’re making a real difference in someone’s life. In order to accomplish that, it helps for you to make your ask personal, so others will feel connected to your cause. People should assist you because they want to—not because they feel like they have to. We’ll take a look at a few unique scenarios you may be faced with, how to know when it’s time to ask for help, and some different ways you can seek the right support.
Knowing when to ask for help with mental health
Luckily, we live in a time when seeking mental health assistance is encouraged. There is never a wrong time to seek help when it comes to your mental health and overall well-being. You might be surprised to see how many people are willing and happy to help you through these struggles. If any of the below apply to you, consider seeking help today:
- You feel anxious, hopeless, or have a loss of interest or pleasure in activities, mood swings, or intense sadness.
- You experience persistent feelings or fluctuations from extreme happiness to extreme sadness.
- You are going through a rollercoaster of extreme emotions or behaviors involving weight and food.
Ways to seek help for your mental health
When it comes to your mental health, the timing is entirely up to you, but it generally depends on how you feel and what approach you’d like to take in finding mental health assistance. Here are some possible options for you that might help:
- Nutritional counselors can assist with making healthy dietary choices specific to your needs.
- Psychiatric care and counseling services are another popular option for seeking help. Talking to someone who is unfamiliar with your situation can be extremely beneficial in improving your mindset and working on personal goals.
- Medication may be prescribed as an additional form of treatment. Medicine can be a crucial addition to the form of treatment you receive and especially helpful for particular mental health disorders.
- Support groups are another great way to seek help. Look for support from people who might not know you personally, but who are more familiar with your struggles. Leaning on each other during times of hardship can make your journey to a healthy mind much easier.
If you’re worried you won’t be able to afford mental health assistance, check out some ways to receive mental health financial assistance. That way, money doesn’t have to be an issue when it comes to improving your well-being.
When to ask for help with living expenses
Monthly bills and day-to-day expenses are things we can’t avoid. Sometimes, the financial hardships we face can be overwhelming and detrimental to us physically and emotionally. Maybe you’re struggling to make your monthly rent payments. Or, you’re facing large amounts of debt you just can’t seem to pay down. Whatever your financial hardship may be, there are ways you can seek help. Here are some signs it may be time to ask for help with money:
- You’re running late on payments and finding it hard to catch up.
- You’re unable to afford daily expenses, like groceries, utilities, or even a cup of coffee.
- You depend on credit cards to pay for living expenses.
- You frequently depend on your savings account or don’t have a savings account set up already.
Ways to seek out help with your finances
- Meet with a financial advisor who can help you get your finances in order and plan for the future.
- Start an online fundraiser you can easily share with your network. It’s simple to set up, and you can start a fundraiser for just about any of your financial needs.
- Research emergency financial assistance programs and government assistance programs that can help cater to your specific financial struggles.
- Get help with bills by seeking out charities, government aid, and crowdfunding resources for your specific financial needs.
- Seek help for your specific financial struggles, like rental assistance, help for single parents, dental costs, adoption expenses diabetes assistance, vet bills, and so much more.
How to ask for financial help for larger expenses
Larger expenses can be unexpected and overwhelming to tackle, especially when they’re urgent. Life is full of hefty costs—memorial and funeral expenses, volunteering abroad, buying a new home or business, and large medical bills are just some examples. Here are some ways to know when you need to seek help in covering these larger costs:
- You consider taking out a loan to cover the full expense or even a portion of it.
- When the deadline to pay the cost is coming up soon, and you don’t have enough money readily available or enough saved to cover the expense.
- If you’ve asked for help from close friends and family already, but no one can help.
- The large expense is making you go into debt.
Ways to seek help for a large expense
- Use the power of crowdfunding so your network and community can come together to help you financially in this time of need.
- Apply for a loan if the need is urgent enough and you don’t have the funds available. Receiving a loan can help until you’re able to get yourself back on your feet.
- Host an event to fundraise for your cause. There are many fundraising event ideas out there to help you get started. Getting the community together to rally support is a great way for your supporters to feel like they are part of your cause and truly making a difference.
Asking for help during times of crisis
How do you ask for help during a crisis? During a crisis, it may seem like asking for help may go unheard or noticed, but that’s not what we see across GoFundMe. When there’s a natural disaster or the whole world is experiencing the coronavirus pandemic, there is always help and resources out there for you. By starting a fundraiser, you can get the help you need fast. Getting started only takes a few minutes and you can be on your way to getting the support you need.
As a result of COVID-19, we’ve seen an outpouring of support. Fundraising for coronavirus relief for people of all communities, including low-income families, small businesses, unemployed workers, and more have cropped up in the wake of the pandemic. If you’re struggling during the coronavirus pandemic, there are resources and financial relief available to you.
In addition to coronavirus, our country has also come face to face with the challenge of fighting for justice and equality for all. Asking for help in the fight for equality is not only welcome right now, but it’s an absolute necessity to achieve equal rights for all. If you feel like asking for help in the fight against racial injustice is too difficult on your own, consider seeking out some resources for equality to guide you. There may be organizations that can help you or need your help to provide support to marginalized groups. This is an issue that cannot be ignored and asking for help should never be an obstacle to progress.
Don’t wait—ask for help today
Asking for help is a sign of strength, not weakness. People want to donate and help when they can—you just need to take that first step. As the number one most trusted leader in fundraising, GoFundMe is the best way to ask for help and to reach the most people at the same time. Your donors will have the opportunity to make their contributions personal by leaving comments, engaging with you directly, and by sharing your fundraiser with their own close friends and family members. Seek the help you need today and see how your life can change.