1. Chauncy’s Chance
Story: When grocery shopping, Matt White met a young man named Chauncy, who offered to carry Matt’s groceries in exchange for some donuts. Once they started talking, Matt learned that Chauncy and his mother were living in extreme poverty. Matt started the fundraiser to help Chauncy buy a lawnmower to make some money, but it exploded into a life-changing event for everyone involved.
Original fundraising goal: $500
Amount raised: $342,106
Recipe for success:
- Matt wrote a moving, honest, and compelling Facebook post that got a lot of attention before he even started the fundraiser.
- Matt’s description included both concrete details about what was needed for Chauncy and his mother and emotional storytelling that drew donors in.
- He included a casual, authentic video of Chauncy so donors knew who they were helping.
- Matt posted regular, enthusiastic, and grateful updates every time he reached a milestone or there was progress to share.
- He posted photos, videos, and even recordings of phone calls whenever possible to keep his audience connected.
- Local and then national media covered Matt and Chauncy’s remarkable story.
- Matt used Facebook extensively to share his message, thank supporters, and spread enthusiasm.