Australian Safe Space Legal Fund
Event organisers within the Australian swing, jazz, and blues dance communities are investing time and money into making our dance spaces safer.
This includes consulting lawyers to be sure their work is legally responsible, and their workers are protected from legal action. All legal work that organisers are currently paying for, is coming out of their own pocket.
And it's adding up.
This campaign is to raise money for the legal costs involved in preventing, responding to, and dealing with the repercussions of sexual assault and harassment.
This can included legal costs associated with:
- drafting letters and other documents that are legally sound;
- responding to defamation and other legal threats;
- drafting, lodging, and pursuing legal documents;
- working with the police to be sure our processes are safe and legal; and
- defending organisers in the legal system.
If you've wanted to support the work of people like Sam Carroll in Sydney, but weren't sure how, donating a few dollars would be very helpful. And very much appreciated.
All these funds will go directly to paying legal bills, helping people like Sam do their work responsibly and safely.
If you can, please share this campaign, https://www.gofundme.com/AustralianSafeSpacelegalFund with your friends and dance community.
Thank you in advance for your support!
[Thanks to Wax Wings photography for the banner photo of dancers.]
So what will we do with the money you've raised?
This gofundme cause (Australian Safe Space Legal Costs) will pay legal fees accrued within Australia while working on safe space documents and actions at swing dance events.
This particular fundraiser will help me (Sam Carroll) pay for legal assistance in responding to threats of legal action. These threats are based on an accusation of unfair behaviour on my part when I enforced our code of conduct at a dance event (you can read that code here: http://jazzbang.com.au/code.html).
The safety of attendees, staff, volunteers, and contractors is my priority at all dance events.
This fundraiser will:
- Pay legal fees for this particular case to date (it is likely to continue),
- Provide money for the management of this particular case for the remainder of 2019, and
- Fund the drafting of documents for this particular case for the remainder of 2019.
I have budgeted $5000 to cover these matters. This is a modest amount, and assumes the case will not go to court.
At this stage this gofundme fundraiser has raised $1145. The legal 'bill' for this case is currently $1518, and the invoice for this bill includes a range of items, including:
- Phone calls by my lawyer with me, with other lawyers, and with a third party,
- Considering emails and mails from me,
- Considering letters and emails from a third party’s lawyers,
- Preparing responses to these letters and emails,
- My lawyers discussing this issue together,
- Preparing a deed of release,
- Discussing this deed of release with me, and with a third party’s lawyers,
- Responding to the third party’s lawyers’ responses to this release, and
All of this was for 2.3 hours of work by three different lawyers at one firm.
Thank you for helping me pay these bills.