First, thank you SO MUCH to all who have donated so far. I truly struggle so badly to ask for help, even when I desperately need it, and it's so humbling to know there are folks out there who do care and want to help. I can't even fully express what it means to me in this dark period of my life when so much has felt hopeless.
Second, I want to provide an update on how the pups are doing. Swayze's hanging in there and officially has his first TPLO surgery scheduled for this coming Wednesday.
Freyja is harder to nail down, but I'm trying to remain hopeful. I was in the emergency room with her all day on Friday waiting to see a neurologist as any actual appointments were way too far out to wait. They did see her and without an MRI yet, their strong suspicion is IVDD. We cannot confirm this nor move forward with surgery without the MRI, and with average costs ranging from $7K-$10K, not including the surgery itself, it's just not feasible financially for me without a miracle, a lottery win, or some generous benefactor who loves dogs coming across my GoFundMe.
The little bit of good news is she has deep pain sensation, is in control of her bladder and bowels, and her general motor function and reflexes are in tact, so it's likely between a Grade 3 and 4 on the IVDD scale. Additionally, she had obvious fear of any movement at all for the first couple of days after onset of ataxia, but she's walking ever so slightly better the last two days with assistance from a sling supporting her back legs. She even braved the single step from the yard into my house today, whereas before she had to be lifted fully to get over that step.
I'm also in contact with a few techs I know personally to hear advice, insight, and suggestions, and I'm reading everything I can on conservative IVDD recovery. So the protocol for now is strict rest, gabapentin, amantadine, and at my follow-up with the neuro on Thursday, we should be able to move forward with a steroid treatment as a previous NSAID she was taking will be fully flushed from her system by then. I'm so hopeful we'll start seeing improvements in the near future, but if not, I'm going to do everything in my power to get the MRI and move forward with surgery, if it's in her best interest.
She still has her personality and wits about her, so the last thing I want to do is resort to the end of life option if there's still hope for recovery. She's my first baby. I won't give up on her.
Thank you again for your support! Please consider sharing the link if you haven't yet. I appreciate every bit of help we can get!