Save Dinosaur Ridge
This land should be protected for its historic, geological and archaeological significance. It should remain a place of education and recreation for future generations. The property houses the museum at Dinosaur Ridge and lies in the Rooney Valley between several parks and open spaces including the Dakota Ridge Hogback, Dinosaur Ridge, Hayden Park (Green Mountain), Bear Creek Lake Park and Forsberg Iron Spring Park. Any development of this land should follow the criteria established under the Jefferson County Comprehensive Master Planning & Zoning Guide. It should:
Be compatible with the existing and allowable land uses in the surrounding area,
Not negatively affect the health, safety and welfare of the residents and landowners in the surrounding area including users of public lands,
Not result in impacts upon property in the surrounding area without adequate mitigation of impacts to pre-existing levels.
We are seeking funds to support printing materials like business cards and flyers, to do public outreach and pay any legal fees. But, have set our goal so high so that, should we obtain this level of support, we may either attempt to negotiate for a land acquisition or build a new facility in a new location. Any funds raised and not applied to the above uses will be donated to the Friends of Dinosaur Ridge.
While we've done what we set out to do to this point, the work is not done. We are deciding our next steps. We have a number of next steps set out and additional goals to ensure the appropriate use of this land. We will share these details in the coming days.
Please continue to share our cause and send supporters our way. Honestly, our next financial goal is much larger than we can likely accommodate via gofundme. We will continue to gather donations here for legal fees and administrative costs. Please share our gofundme link with your friends and contacts.
Thank you again for you support. This has been an amazing effort and the outcome has been better than anyone expected. We beat nearly insurmountable odds.
Today's editorial included many inaccurate statements and ignored much of the truth regarding the rezoning issue. PLEASE, everyone, take a few minutes to contact The Denver Post. Ask them to review the facts that were presented at the 1-17 JeffCo Board of County Commissioners hearing and also placed in the case file. The editorial board needs to rescind their inaccurate statements and post another editorial that offers factual, balanced and complete information.
Email to: email@example.com
Include your name, city and phone number
Submission must be 150 words or less
Write to: The Denver Post Open Forum, 101 W Colfax, Denver 80204
If you wish, you can specifically address your comments to the editorial board members: William Dean Singleton, Mac Tully, Chuck Plunkett, Megan Schrader and Cohen Peart.
AND, please share this information with everyone you know. Thank you!
Interest in the issue of rezoning at C470/Alameda is exploding!
• Westword article by John Prendergast on 1-11-17 http://www.westword.com/news/jeffco-battles-over-proposed-car-dealerships-next-to-dino-ridge-8672438.
• Denver Post article by John Aguilar on 1-12-17 http://www.denverpost.com/2017/01/11/dinosaur-ridge-car-lots-protest/
• Prime time news stories on major Denver channels
• Read an analysis by 3 PhD economists of the negative impacts of car dealerships at Dinosaur Ridge – SaveDinoRidge.org
• Around 100 passionate supporters attended our Rally on 1-11-17
• Hundreds of messages of opposition have been delivered to the Jefferson County Commissioners in the past couple of weeks
• A new petition, specifically objecting to car dealerships at C470/Alameda, has been circulating widely
• New information is being posted on SaveDinoRidge.org daily
• Letters of support coming to SaveDinosaurRidgeNeighbors@gmail.com have been passionate and overwhelming
NOW we need YOUR help as we head into the last 3 days before the County Commissioner Hearing on January 17…
• Come to the Hearing on January 17 at the County Court House (Taj). The Hearing begins at 8:00AM (the rezoning issue will likely not begin until around 9:00AM) and may continue for several hours. You will be able to sign up to speak after you arrive.
• Consider helping the DRN team deliver our message. We have compiled a ‘book’ of arguments against rezoning and need volunteers to read 3-minute excerpts. Send us an email and we will put your name on the list. You will receive an email on Monday with your assigned 3-minute speech and the approximate time you will speak. SaveDinosaurRidge@gmail.com
• Make a donation to help us cover legal fees - https://www.gofundme.com/savedinoridge OR email us for mailing address to donate directly!
• Sign our new petition - http://change.org/p/commish1-jeffco-us-petition-against-rezoning-to-allow-for-car-dealerships?utmSource=share_petition&utmCampaign=mobile_petition_view
• Read important facts relating to the rezoning issue on our website - SaveDinoRidge.org
• Share the NO REZONING message with all your contacts and on social media
The outcome of the hearing will define who we are and what legacy we leave to future generations. Our community must come together to stop rezoning and inappropriate development at our beloved Dinosaur Ridge!
Hope to see you there!
6:15 AT THE TAJ MAHAL (Jefferson County Courthouse)
Please arrive as early as you can to sign up to speak.
Please car pool or take the Light Rail if appropriate. West line stops at the Taj Mahal.
We encourage EVERYONE to attend to hear the issues! We believe rezoning of the NW quadrant would lead to far-reaching negative impacts on the environment and permanently mar the beauty and enjoyment of the hogback.
Dinosaur Ridge Neighbors will share the facts we have researched and our opinions in a 10-minute power point presentation. We encourage you to share your opinions also. Here are a few tips from the County:
1. If you wish to speak keep your comments factual and objective - but throw in some stories to keep it interesting and personal.
2. You can speak for 3 minutes but a heartfelt 30 second speech can be just as effective.
3. Plan to arrive by 6:30 so you can hear the developer's presentation prior to comments from the community.
4. The Hearing may be long - bring bottled water and a snack as there are no vending machines in the building.
5. The Taj Mahal is located at 100 Jefferson County Parkway. There is a 2-level parking garage in front of the building and additional parking in the RTD garage. The hearing room is on the first floor to the left of the front door.
See you tonight!
The editorial in the Denver Post is very disturbing and shows a definite bias towards the 3 Dinos LLC. What are our options now? Can we do something on the 31st. to continue the effort to protect Dinosaur Ridge? If the money to buy the property could be raised, surely the 3 Dinos might consider selling. Where do we go from here?
Hi Jennifer, that's a great question. A number of people and groups have asked how much in the last year. But, even thought there's a for sale sign on the land, it doesn't seem to be for sale. Hopefully, that changes but it doesn't look good at this point. We started this cause under the assumptions that everything is for sale and that development is not a done deal until the bulldozers show up. We'll let you know if we hear anything different. Thanks for your support.
Is it an option to purchase this property (or maybe have JeffCo Open Space purchase it) in order to preserve it?