Gullah/Geechee Land & Legacy Fund
The people of the Gullah/Geechee Nation ( www.gullahgeecheenation.com) have been fighting to keep their culture and traditions alive on the land that their families own from Jacksonville, NC to Jacksonville, FL. Over the past twenty years, the Gullah/Geechee Sea Island Coalition ( www.gullahgeechee.net) has led the effort to keep Gullah/Geechee land ownership going and to protect the human rights of Gullah/Geechees worldwide.
Unfortunately, the Gullah/Geechee have continued to suffer land loss and also the loss of numerous lives in the Gullah/Geechee Nation with the drowning of a Gullah/Geechee family from Sandy Island and the murders of Walter Scott in North Charleston, and Cynthia Hurd, Suzy Jackson, Ethel Lance, Rev. Depayne Middleton-Doctor, Rev. Clementa Pinckney, Tywanza Sanders, Rev. Daniel Simmons Sr., Rev. Sharonda Singleton, and Myra Thompson at Emanuel AME in Charleston, SC in 2015. This does not count the numerous Gullah/Geechee elders that passed away due to stress related illnesses while fighting for their land over the past several decades.
Recently, global media has published stories and shown news reports regarding the displacement of Gullah/Geechees from their homeland. This media attention caused thousands of people to request that the Gullah/Geechee Sea Island Coalition and Queen Quet, Chieftess of the Gullah/Geechee Nation create this GoFundMe Campaign so that they can support the efforts of helping the land retention amongst the Gullah/Geechee. To that end, the funds raised here will assist with:
• the fundraising for legal matters for Gullah/Geechee land retention and human rights protections
• contribute to the fund for a Gullah/Geechee owned ferry for the people of Sandy Island
• provide for additional FREE Gullah/Geechee community land rights, heirs property, and human rights workshops and materials so that Gullah/Geechees can protect their land ownership and keep their cultural heritage and traditions alive on their land
• the sponsorship of the inaugural "Black Folks Land Legacy Conference" which will be held on St. Helena Island, SC in the Gullah/Geechee Nation March 10-12, 2017
Queen Quet, Chieftess of the Gullah/Geechee Nation ( www.QueenQuet.com) & De Gullah Cunneckshun will continue the "Gullah/Geechee Land & Legacy World Tour" ( https://gullahgeecheenation.com/2013/11/14/queen-quet-de-gullah-cunneckshun-gullahgeechee-land-legacy-tour/)
during 2017. This fund will continue to support the expenses of this world tour that is entering its third year of raising global awareness of the genocidal attacks against and the environmental justice, human rights, and land rights issues of the Gullah/Geechee Nation .
We are calling on all those that support the Gullah/Geechee Nation in their continued stand for self-determination to
1) become dues paying members of the Gullah/Geechee Sea Island Coalition www.gullahgeechee.net which can be done online online at www.gullahgeechee.biz.
2) sponsor a Gullah/Geechee fundraiser and community awareness event in your community no matter where you are in the world as part of the "Gullah/Geechee Land & Legacy World Tour."
3) come to the Gullah/Geechee Nation for "Gullah/Geechee Volunteer Month" in March annually to assist with environmental and social justice projects along with hundreds of other volunteers from around the world. Email GullGeeCo@aol.com for more details.
4) donate to the official 501(c)3 of the Gullah/Geechee Nation if you would like to receive a tax deduction. Go to www.gullahgeecheeangelnetwork.com
Tenki Tenki ta hunnuh fa de support!
GAWD bless de Gullah/Geechee land and we legacy!
We wanted to make sure that you were aware of how your dollars for the @GullahGeechee Land Legacy Fund are being spent and the global impact that they are bringing!
We are still awaiting the outcome of our lawsuit against seismic gun testing on our coastline. However, in the meantime, we have not stopped the fight against this, offshore drilling, and other negative impacts that climate change is having on our coast. To that end, here are links to some of the latest things happening with Queen Quet's #GullahGeechee "Healin de Land World Tour:"
We are currently featured in the membership newsletter for the Ocean Conservancy and in this article in "The Root:" https://www.theroot.com/gullah-geechee-community-hear-us-on-climate-change-1835038198?utm_medium=sharefromsite&utm_source=theroot_facebook&utm_campaign=bottom&fbclid=IwAR34-qFTPbKVtu2jNqodeu_7zR8huYiYGwk_5NUE7L2DK9J_79QAdJyxD_0
We are seeking to get to at least $9K by World Oceans Day. Tenki Tenki fa wha hunnuh gee fa hep we!
We have been slowing assessing the current situation along our coast as hurricane season 2018 winds down. We wanted you to receive a brief update from Sandy Island. We are still doing all we can to support their effort to get a barge since they already have the boat that was needed. Tune in to this update by Queen Quet.