PROTECT THE PALISADES HIGHLANDS--DONATE TO AN OPPOSITION FUND
A non-resident developer with no ascertainable track record is attempting to build an oversized, highly-intrusive 24/7 dementia care/assisted living residential facility in the middle of our quiet Highlands neighborhood, immediately adjacent to City and State parklands and in an extreme fire danger area. Please help protect the Highlands by donating today to an Opposition Fund.
The proposed facility would:
· Rise FIVE LEVELS above Palisades Drive at the street's lowest point fronting the building, plus rooftop equipment and exits that would rise even higher.
· Comprise almost 65,000 square feet of building space on a 44,000 square foot lot, with two levels of partially underground parking.
· House 96 dementia and assisted living residents in 82 rooms, far from community amenties.
· Operate 24/7/365, with 3 staff changes and numerous daily visitors and emergency vehicles, creating traffic, noise and parking nightmares.
· Fail to satisfy numerous requirements of the Coastal Act, the California Environmental Quality Act, City of Los Angeles Site Plan Review Requirements and the requirements of the Brentwood-Pacific Palisades Community Plan.
Here is another rendering of the size and scale of the proposed building, which would only be set back approximately 7 feet from the street.
The City Zoning Administrator has issued a letter approving the developer's applications for the project. Those approvals have been appealed to the West LA Area Planning Commission, and a hearing is scheduled for April 18 at 4:30 PM. The ZA's letter can be found here:
The developer is represented by an aggressive Century City law firm and a political PR firm and is spending heavily to try to jam this project through.
I have retained land use counsel to oppose the project, but I cannot pay for the amount of legal services needed to resist developer's onslaught.
Please make a contribution to an Opposition Fund that will be used to pay for legal efforts to appeal the ZA approvals and seek a use of the property that is fair and appropriate for the Highlands.
Thanks very much for considering my request.
Palisades Highlands Resident
Each contribution to the Opposition Fund will be greatly appreciated. By making a contribution, each contributor agrees as follows:
1. All Opposition Fund contributions will be placed in the Trust Account of the law firm of Luna & Glushon (“LG”) and disbursed for the payment of legal fees of that firm incurred by Robert Flick (“Flick”) and/or other parties in opposing the proposed eldercare project and the payment of costs incurred by LG associated with that opposition, which may include costs for filing fees, digitizing and reproduction of documents, postage and courier costs, local travel and the cost of retaining experts to compile and prepare information and provide testimony relevant to the project opposition. The disbursement of contributed funds from the Trust Account by LG for project opposition purposes will be under the sole control of Flick, who will not receive any compensation out of the Opposition Fund contributions.
2. The making of a contribution does not create an attorney-client or fiduciary relationship between the contributor and LG or between the contributor and Flick or the Law Offices of Robert Flick. Each of LG and Flick reserves the right to return any contribution to any contributor.
3. Flick will endeavor to provide reasonable updates on the opposition status via social media, but he may not be able to disclose certain information due to the need to preserve attorney-client privilege and/or strategic confidentiality. Each contributor agrees not to contact LG or Flick without their request for such contact, and neither LG nor Flick are obligated to respond to unsolicited contact efforts by contributors.
4. No assurance of success or any particular outcome is provided by LG or Flick. It is possible that the project opposition efforts and the expenditure of Opposition Fund amounts will not have any negative effect on the City of LA or Coastal Permit applications submitted by the owner of the property or the proposed eldercare project.
5. If the entirety of all contributions made to the LG Trust Account are not utilized for the fees and costs described above, any excess will be returned to the contributors prorata, except that any amount that would be refundable to a contributor that is less than $50.00 will be donated to one or more substantial non-profit organizations selected by Flick that benefit the Southern California environment.
DonationsSee top donations
- jan ostendorf
- Gary Baum
Organizer and beneficiary
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more