Through this project, we use the Housing First model to help folks move in and stay in permanent housing and live the lives they want to lead. Learn more about our strategy here.
The fund was able to get these women off the streets for Christmas in 2019, and the funds quickly ran out. In June of 2020, it received a new life and we were not only able to get the women it was started for off the streets--but we eventually reached where we are today! Please visit the "our story " tab to learn more about how we started.
A year later, we have accomplished so much! Here are some highlights since our inception:
- Provided rental/housing assistance to nearly 200 Trans and gender non-conforming Georgians
- Of those, 149 were folks who received our Emergency Grants in Sept. of 2020, which distributed $108,000 in total
- Provided consistent housing and wrap-around services to our nearly 40 program participants throughout the pandemic
- Built a team of 12 people; 4 board members and 8 paid staff, who are majority Trans, Black, and Latinx.
- Purchased the first trans-owned house for transitional housing in Atlanta
- Awarded Trans Housing Atlanta Program, a local mission-aligned organization, $25,000
- Partnered with several organizations, including Intown Collaborative Ministries
- Through this partnership, we hired our second case manager, Ricardo Hernandez, and have gained access to city-funded housing vouchers, which we have secured for nearly 20 of our clients. This means that their rent will be paid for a full year.
We always wanted to honor the fact that this project couldn’t have happened without the collaboration of the women featured in the original campaigns, so we made sure that we compensated each woman involved in the campaign for taking a part in its creation—in addition to providing them with housing and case management while they go through our program.
We are so grateful for the support y’all have given us this past year, and are excited to continue to expand the project and continue helping our community. We couldn't have done this without your support--which has forever changed the landscape for the trans community in Atlanta. With the average donation being around $30, this fund has truly demonstrated the power of mutual aid. We continue to move forward with plans of expanding – including looking at larger properties for housing, expanding our team so we can help more people, and continuing to expand our coalition network so that we can build from the wealth of resources that already exist in our communities.
We encourage y'all to donate to us directly (to avoid transaction fees) at transhousingcoalition.org/donate or via cashapp at $TransHousingCo – we hope that you will continue to support us and invest in trans lives!
Lastly, we ask that you please sign up for our email list so that we can continue keeping you updated on our efforts!
Organizer and beneficiary
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more