GHARA started operations 10 years ago from a little shed in Bangalore providing services to five members with intellectual disabilities from the slums in addition to providing support for their families. Fund raising and donations over the years has today allowed GHARA to support 16 young adults at a new Centre in Bangalore. GHARA engages trained educators and the Centre runs activities and focuses on development of its member's gross/fine motor skills, social skills, activities of daily living, and vocational skills. Members are also provided speech therapy and physiotherapy in a safe and nurturing environment.
COVID-19 EMERGENCY RELIEF
The impact of COVID-19 in India has been devastating for the most vulnerable. GHARA has therefore launched a new project to meet the disaster currently unfolding. This project is not just about disability, but survival. GHARA has provided
- Provided 1 250 dry ration kits and 2500 cooked meals to destitute across Mumbai, Bangalore and Goa
- Reached out to 5 families who lost their breadwinner
- Supported orphanages in Bangalore with education and shelter
- Contributed towards critical medical expenses for 4 individuals
- Provided medical kits to 300 COVID-affected families from the slums in Mumbai
- Supplied Oxygen concentrators
GHARA is unable to sustain itself without sponsors, donations and charity events and not being able to run our charity events last year has had an impact on us. We are run by volunteers and 100% of all funds collected go to fulfilling GHARA's mission and ongoing COVID relief.
Each day GHARA receives requests for help from individuals and organisations in urgent need of oxygen, medicine, and food. We are doing our best to respond to the need as the situation rapidly changes however, are reliant on the generosity of people like you to enable us to say YES to these requests.