Hi, my name is Leon (left). Last summer, my best mate Aaron (right) and I walked the West Highland Way, a 100-mile walk in Scotland from Glasgow to Fort William. We loved it and decided this year to challenge ourselves to do something more difficult, deciding on the Snowdonia Way, a 122-mile trek stretching through the mountain terrain of northern Wales. While initially, the purpose of this was to challenge ourselves and have fun, in deeper thought, we decided that it’s a fantastic opportunity to do some good and raise money for a charity. Queue The White Feather Project...
The white Feather Project is a charity focused primarily on eliminating food deprivation in Middlesbrough; they:
• Deliver emergency food care packages to people in crisis and those who are vulnerable.
• Run community food hubs open six days a week to help low-income families.
• Supply meals to school children over the school holidays so that no child goes hungry.
In addition to this, they provide wider support for all in need, this includes:
• Supplying free sanitary products to women in need.
• Working with disabled people to improve their standard of living.
• Helping new parents, supplying them with everything they need to ensure that their baby is taken care of – cots, clothes, toys etc.
I am sure the current cost-of-living crisis has affected every one of us, from soaring petrol prices to rapidly increasing shopping bills. Luckily, most of us are fortunate enough to have the means to handle this. However, as with every such crisis, it’s the people at the bottom who are affected the most. Parents all over Middlesbrough are struggling put food on the table, and clothe their children. This is why charities such as The White Feather Project are so important, now more so than ever. Unfortunately, the cost-of-living crisis also makes running a non-profit increasingly difficult, so with this fundraiser, we’re hoping to inspire you, your friends and your family to be generous and help out the members of our community that need it most – so please donate!