Who are we?
We're two gay men living in Tasmania - Jason Hoare, and Michael Higgins. We've been friends since 1988, which is also when we met Rodney Croome.
What are we doing?
We're starting a campaign to raise money to say "thank you Rodney Croome" for 30 years of LGBTI activism and lobbying.
For 30 years Rodney has worked on behalf of ALL LGBTI Australians to make Australia a place where all citizens are equal before the law. He's opted out of the usual career path we've taken for granted and for most of his adult life has missed out on all of the good stuff that goes along with it:
- no superannuation
- no sickness benefits
- no holiday pay.
He's done this on our behalf, to make Australia fairer and safer for us, for LGBTI Australians!
We want to thank him for his courage in the face of hatred, ridicule and threats; for his leadership of our community, helping to make our country safer and fairer for all of us; for his perseverance and hard work over 30 years.
Rodney's work has moved Australia forward:
Rodney has been working for 30 years doing this stuff. It's not just been the glam marriage equality stuff... oh no...
- the ban on LGBTI service personnel in the Australian Defence Force: removed!
- national LGBTI discrimination laws and relationship recognition: achieved!
- Australian Marriage Equality: founded!
Rodney also lead the marriage equality campaign for many years, wrote three books about it, and helped stop the plebiscite. He worked ferociously to stop our community being subjected to the horror of a postal survey, and once it was a fait accompli, worked tirelessly to help win it! Tasmania actually returned a yes vote above the national average!
So you think now that marriage equality has been achieved Rodney is going to stop? Ha! As if!
Rodney is currently working on overturning the ban on gay men donating to the blood bank, and preventing the extension of religious privilege in our country.
Some of Rodney's achievements for Tasmania:
- From 1988 until 1997 Rodney worked tirelessly, in the face of a strident hate campaign, to decriminalise homosexuality in Tasmania!
- He took decriminalisation to the United Nations and the High Court of Australia, setting new global standards on LGBTI equality.
- His work saw the passage of the best anti-discrimination laws in Australia, and at the time, the best relationship laws in Australia.
- Thanks to him, huge strides were made in LGBTI policies in education, health and the police force.
- He's brought landmark hate speech cases before the Anti-Discrimination Commission.
- His work and campaigning lead to the expungement of Tasmanian gay and trans criminal records, and an apology from the Liberal Premier, Will Hodgman.
Rodney's work, fighting for human rights, human dignity, equality before the law for all citizens has been recognised by some VERY COOL awards!
- He was made a Member of the Order of Australia in 2003.
- He was named the Tasmanian of the Year in 2015.
Is that enough to convince you? :) Rodney has been working for all of us for 30 years.
C'mon... let's say thanks! :)
DonationsSee top donations
- Paul Mitchell
- Diana van Bell
- Peter Jones
- K D
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more