#SwipeItForward was launch in 2016, anchored by Why Accountability and Ending Broken Windows Coalition. The goal was simple: stop the prison pipeline by swiping in Black and Brown riders. We raised funds via community donations and hit the subways in high-targeted areas to swipe our people in. Since then we have done 40+ actions in collaboration with dozens of orgs. We keep us safe.
We resist broken windows policing and the brutality of the NYPD.
Don't get it twisted - #SwipeItForward is an act of self-defense and resistance. It is not ever to be used as a charity project, a tactic to push electoral politics, etc. Anything of the sort will be called out and checked.
No one should go to jail for not having $2.75. Public Transportation is a RIGHT.
For any questions/offers please reach out to the #SwipeItForward Coalition via our Twitter @swipeitforward_nyc . Respect the work of Black leadership by connecting with us before launching anything.
>> IT'S LEGAL TO #SWIPEITFORWARD <<
1. Offer to swipe - Acknowledge the person and ask "Do you need a swipe?" It is illegal to ask for a swipe onto the subway but it is completely fine for you to swipe someone in.
2. Complete your ride - If you have an unlimited card, exit the turnstile before swiping someone in. Unlimited cards are frozen for 14-18mins from when you swipe @ a terminal.
3. Don't accept payment - It's never okay to accept payment for swiping someone in. It might even look suspicious for you to give cash to someone for a card, so just be aware.
4. Move out of the way - Never block a turnstile or prevent people from accessing the terminal. Of course, train congestion is real. Practice common sense.
5. Pass your receipt - The MTA recently increased the number of SelectBus+ routed buses across NYC. On your way off the bus pass your receipt to someone getting on if they need it.
- Katie Yun
- Paul Fleischmann
- Josie Luck
- Stina Soderling
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more