- Sustainability for premises to provide the services below
- Culture sensitive therapy and mentorship for students
- Intercultural psychotherapy for the wider community
- Intercultural Training and mentorship for psychological practitioners
- We are re-establishing a face-to-face counselling and psychotherapy service and will operate from a premises in the London Borough of Lewisham in South East London.
- This is a vital opportunity for clients and practitioners alike, as receiving and delivering online or teletherapy during the Covid-19 pandemic has come with many challenges; such as clients having insufficient privacy for therapy sessions and practitioners having insufficient space to work from home, in a healthy manor.
- Our premises will give some of our most vulnerable clients, such as those living in toxic home environments or trapped in domestic abusive relationships, the space to feel free, even if for just 1 hour a week!
- Our premises will also give practitioners the opportunity to work from a therapeutic space and deliver online therapy away from home, should we experience future lockdowns; this is very important for the well-being of our practitioners.
- Unfortunately our premises does not have disability or limited mobility access and we would like to find away to accommodate these unmet needs with another premises.
- We are establishing a culture sensitive mentorship programme for our counselling students to assist them with developing essential intercultural competencies. These competencies are essential for working with minoritized groups but are often inadequately taught on standardised counselling training courses.
- The programme will require time and resources, and will run simultaneously with our placement and individual therapy provision, which is essential for counselling students on most courses.
- 50% of our clients are students and at some point have been referred or accessed student support counselling through their university. However, our student clients report having been allocated an insufficient number of sessions or felt that the counselling was unsuccessful due to cultural barriers and/or lack of understanding. We also acknowledge that students are often financially insecure and cannot afford typical private therapy fees. We are therefore raising money to be able to subsidise sessions for students.
- An integration of humility & spirituality principles & philosophy with psychological understanding and application.
- Trauma informed with a focus on working with the effects of childhood, generational, racial and sexual trauma.
- Culture-Centred with a passion for exploring and healing with talking therapy minoritized, marginalised and racialised groups.
- The Four Pillars of Mabadiliko Intercultural Therapy (Culture, Ethnicity, Race & Spirituality) form the framework of our approach.
- Common mental health issues that we help with using the Mabadiliko Intercultural Therapy approach include but are not limited to:- Anxiety, C-PTSD, Depression, Dissociation & Dissociative behaviours, Panic attacks & flashbacks, Relationship issues, Self-harm, Suicidal thoughts & behaviours, Stress & burnout, Survivors of domestic abuse and violence, Unresolved grief & loss, and much more.
- The money we raise from this fundraiser will help us to provide low-cost and counselling for a proportion of individuals that need it the most, and without access to financial support would possibly end up in crises.
- We aim to contribute towards improving mental health access and outcomes for adults from minoritized, marginalised and racialised backgrounds by improving the standard of cultural-diversity training and for psychological practitioners.
- The training that we provide is aimed to improve practitioners understanding of the complexities of cultural and racial awareness, cultural competencies and racial-cultural diversity.
- We would like to support our staff obtain good quality additional training in relevant areas of need.
- We are raising money to contribute towards the resourcing costs that come with being a training provider.
- We would also like to reward our team for all their efforts by being able to subsidise additional training needs that contribute towards the great service that we are.
- Keisha George
- AnnMarie Boreland
- Rodney Richards
- henry beckles
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more