On Sunday, September 10, shortly before 6:00 p.m., in Vancouver’s Chinatown neighbourhood, at the Light Up Chinatown! festival, three attendees were stabbed. These innocent victims are now facing not only physical recovery but also emotional and added financial burdens. On behalf of the victims and with their permission, the Vancouver Chinatown Foundation, has set up this campaign to rally behind them, showing our unity and support during these challenging times.
This was a random act of violence, and if there is one thing Chinatown is known for is its resilience. We are a community that cares deeply about one another. This attack has only reinforced our sense of community and drive to revitalize Chinatown. We are now coming together as a unified force to support these victims.
The funds raised through this campaign will go directly towards:
- Medical Expenses: Covering the immediate and ongoing medical expenses of the three victims.
- Counselling and Therapy: Ensuring that the victims have access to professional psychological support to cope with the trauma.
- Livelihood Support: Assistance for any work they might miss during their recovery period, ensuring they don't face financial hardships.
We call upon every individual, community member, and organization to contribute whatever they can. Your support, be it financial or by simply sharing this campaign, means the world to us and, most importantly, to the three victims.
The Chinatown community has immediately come together, and currently, the following is being done:
- Chinatown Storytelling Centre, Dr. Sun Yat Sen Classical Chinese Gardens and the Chinese Canadian Museum are donating partial proceeds of sales to the end of September will go towards supporting victims
- Gordon Wong of ORDO Creative Inc., a freelance videographer, who captured Light Up Chinatown! 2023 is donating all of his production services fees to the campaign.
- The Chinatown BIA Society, Chinese Cultural Centre, and Vancouver Chinatown Merchants Association are engaging the community to provide updates on the situation and canvassing ways to support the victims.
Light Up Chinatown! serves as a beautiful and vibrant celebration of the neighbourhood’s rich cultural legacy where residents, business owners and visitors come together in a display of community. The senseless act that transpired is nothing short of devastating and heartbreaking.
Resilience is part of Chinatown’s DNA, and we will continue to come together as a community and ensure everyone feels safe. As we have done throughout our history, we will continue to come together to support each other.
We will provide regular updates on the recovery progress of the victims and how the funds are being utilized.
How Else Can You Help?
Share this campaign on all social media platforms using the hashtag #loveChinatown
If you have any resources, connections, or services that you believe might be beneficial, please reach out to us directly at info@chinatownfoundation[dot]org