The Dominican Republic is one of five* countries in the world that criminalizes abortion in ALL instances even when medically necessary.
• Even to save the woman's life!
• Even if the pregnancy is not viable (will not live)!
• Even if it's the result of the incestual rape of a child.
Several women have been left to die in the Dominican Republic by being denied a life-saving abortion.
Why is this relevant now?
• The Dominican Criminal Code (from 1884) is being updated.
• Many are pleading to include three life-saving exceptions (Las Tres Causales) to the extreme abortion ban in that update.
• This request has been met with resistance from government officials, the Church, etc.
What's Happening Right Now?
Protestors have installed a camp in front of El Palacio Nacional stating that they are going to stay put until Las Tres Causales are included in the Criminal Code.
They have been there for 3+ weeks now. They need our help.
Manifestaciones are now also taking place in other parts of the Dominican Republic and New York City.
The Church & Government Are Silencing & Bullying Dominicans
• The Church has incentivized Dominicans to march against Las Tres Causales via wide-scale advertising campaigns. We need help with ads and campaigns to EDUCATE Dominicans on what's really going on.
• El Ministerio Publico unfairly targeted @Jompeame for posting the silhouette of a pregnant 13-year-old rape victim in order to help her get financial assistance.
• The Church has punished and suspended Pastora Bathania Figueroa for supporting Las Tres Causales and attending the protests.
These are a few instances of how they are trying to silence the topic, instill fear & send a threatening message to others who want to speak up. We need your help to keep financing the camps, among other things listed below.
Where Will Your Donations Go?
• Educational ads BY the people FOR the people - in radios, social media, etc to combat the misinformation the lucrative Church is spewing to Dominicans in their massively funded campaign ads.
• Speaker rentals (Alquireles de sonido)
• Electric plant (alquileres de planta electrica)
• Food, snacks, and water at the camps
• Masks and hand sanitizer
• Supplies & materials for signs, printing, and other promotional tools
• And more! We will be posting receipts and photos as updates.
Who is Organizing This?
• Funds will be distributed in collaboration with CIPAF and towards the below efforts in the Dominican Republic. Follow @DominicanAbroad and @RD3CAUSALES and @GinaMGoico for updates and other ways you can support this cause!
How Else Can I Help?
• Attend ongoing manifestaciones in the Dominican Republic and New York City. (Or start your own!)
• Join virtual events such as Noam Chomsky's talk with @RD3Causales on April 1, 2021. At 3 PM.
• Stay up to date w/ + support legislators, individuals, and groups fighting on the ground.
• Donate to organizations.
• Educate your family and friends to explain what's going on.
• Spread awareness. Many Dominicans don't know. Did you know?
EL PAIS - "Las mujeres de República Dominicana reclaman por su derecho al aborto " ...en 3 exceptiones
US NEWS - "In Dominican Republic Proposal to Ease Abortion Ban Polarizes Nation "
- Nichole Sessego
- Katia Pereira
Fundraising team (4)
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more