Just the thought of losing a child in any way is unthinkable, but the ongoing stories of accidental child deaths in hot cars is a CRISIS! Preventing these devastating deaths has become my passion.
I’m Laurie, a mother of four. I am also physically disabled - though I don't look it. My life hasn’t been easy, but I also consider myself very lucky. I can still walk. I can still talk. My mind is sharp. Most importantly, my kids are still here with me.
With your help, I will build the right answer to this tragic problem. An answer that is NOT overly-complicated. One that is reliable, intuitive, and that deserves your trust. An answer that exceeds the notoriously high standards of my Worry-Mom-Brain!
Stomach Churning NewsOne day, a local radio station reported the death of an infant, forgotten in a hot car. As I heard more and more details, I became convinced that not only was this tragedy about someone I knew, but someone I knew very well, my daughter’s kindergarten teacher and my next door neighbor growing up. My stomach turned to lead.
For a few gut-wrenching, horrible hours, I thought it was her life and family being torn apart. Thankfully, it WASN’T her child. But it was SOMEONE’S child. The sickening feeling from that day stayed with me. I couldn’t stop thinking about it.
If it had been me, how could I ever live with myself? Could my spouse ever forgive me? Could I ever forgive my spouse if he had done it? How would my parents, in-laws, my other children look at me? What pain would my momentary mistake cause for everyone I loved?
Uncompromising Standards and Creating Something BetterI began searching for a solution and found a variety of products and proposed legislation. Unfortunately, what I found left me unconvinced and still worried. So I spent a lot of time thinking about something that would work and set my Worry-Mom-Brain at ease.
• I thought about how anything changing the way the car seat kept my child safe in an accident wasn’t at all acceptable as part of the solution.
• I thought about the different types of child safety seats. I thought about when my younger daughter moved from a rear-facing to front-facing car seat -- I went from constantly lugging around a car seat around everywhere to a stationary seat that stayed safely installed in the car at all times. The right answer needs to be universal and independent of the type of seat.
• I thought about how, for preschool, the drop-off and pick-up person were often not the same person -- sometimes Dad might drop off, but I might pick up. The right answer would need to handle this common scenario.
• I thought about how the right answer would need to be extremely easy to use – so easy, in fact, that using it CORRECTLY would be THE easiest thing for tired, busy parents or other caregivers to do.
• All that thinking led to the ForgetMeNot system and to gather a team to help me see it through. A solution that is both elegant and deceptively simple. A product that not only addresses the short-comings of everything else I could find, but more importantly, provides my Worry-Mom-Brain peace of mind. An answer that is just better.
The ForgetMeNot SystemI can't be overly specific, as I am in the process of obtaining a patent. However, ForgetMeNot is, at its heart, an alert system with deliberate, specialized cues so children are never accidentally left in a car. These cues are only activated if a child is being strapped into, taken out of, or accidentally left in a car seat.
Why Me? Who am I?I’ve always been ambitious and successful at what I put my mind to, but an unexpected physical disability from a skull/brain abnormality called a Chiari I Malformation has forced me to think hard about the direction of my life. Given my physical limitations, how can I support myself and my children while doing something GOOD for society? I have so much I want to give back, and I believe this cause, my passion, is the way forward.
How Your Support Will HelpYour donation will directly help make this vision of safer children a reality. Your donation will help obtain a patent, construct prototypes, and help support me as I commit to this full time. The goal of the current phase is to obtain a patent and produce a prototype in order to secure future rounds of funding.
Total Support Needed Now to help Save Children’s Lives: $50,000Together, we can make children safer and help prevent tragic deaths that devastate entire families. I cannot express how much your support means as I embark on this journey. I am extremely passionate about this mission. I have access to the technical expertise needed. I have strong mentors to help guide me through the process. What I need now is your support. Any amount is greatly appreciated. Every dollar gets us closer to the goal. And remember - you can help make kids safer by spreading the word! Please, share this campaign with others online!
See our website at: https://ForgetMeNot.family
- Angela Belz
- Ruth patterson
- Nancy Golemba
- Sylvia Larson
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more