Slaughter Free NYC’s anniversary is just ONE month away!
Launched in January 2020 by established NYC activists, Slaughter Free NYC has created impact and generated massive momentum on a crucial goal: to make NYC a "slaughter-free zone." After all, slaughterhouses are bad for everyone: consumers, communities, workers, the animals, and the environment.
We collaborate with local groups to raise awareness about the existence and dangers of slaughterhouses and wet markets in New York City.
Slaughter Free NYC maintains a comprehensive archive (that is constantly updated) of footage, government records, data, and legal resources that we have shared freely with large groups like PETA, with legislators, and with the media.
What we’ve accomplished:
Through this collaborative spirit, we’ve made it common knowledge that NYC has over 80 slaughterhouses, over 70 of them operating as storefronts to the general public – similar to the wet market that reportedly started the coronavirus pandemic. You can view some of our media coverage here , in which our slaughterhouse footage has been viewed by millions.
We also partnered with Animal Save Movement and Slaughter Free Cities to support the creation of other Slaughter Free chapters around the world. In fact, we were the first chapter to bring the two organizations together in order to facilitate growth of this movement!
What we are working on:
In addition to constantly working on media angles to keep this important issue relevant, you have seen us:
- Conduct frequent neighborhood outreach in marginalized neighborhoods where slaughterhouses operate. We have built coalitions in several neighborhoods, with a special focus on Woodside, Queens and Inwood, Manhattan.
- Train activists to file reports to multiple city and state agencies, which allows us to keep a current official record to support all legal and legislative efforts. We regularly post footage with instructions on how to file these reports and we maintain a tracker of all complaints filed.
- Partner with the campaign, End Chickens as Kaporos, by hosting digital efforts all week long. This allowed activists to participate if it was too high-risk for them to join in person. Hundreds of complaints were filed and 311 was temporarily disabled because you put in the work!
- Rescue animals from markets, sometimes with the help of our community contacts.
Some of what you haven't seen:
- Our talented legal team has been in contact with city and state entities to set the stage for legal pursuits to shut down slaughterhouses. One example of that work is below. In 2021, this work will culminate in several lawsuits.
- We have conducted undercover investigations to help us target the most vulnerable slaughterhouses to set precedent for shutting down every slaughterhouse we can.
- We are known by name at government agencies regarding this issue, and the employees of these agencies are now well-informed - 2021 will be about building on that foundation.
- Slaughter Free NYC is collaborating with non-animal focused groups to build more political clout in 2021 and to work toward a common goal of protecting public health in NYC.
- We are working with marketing professionals on a high-visibility campaign to ramp up pressure on officials to do their job.
How your support sustains us:
We have a matching donor!!
That means every dollar goes twice as far to keep the wheels of Slaughter Free NYC working. Between rescue efforts and vet costs, equipment for our undercover efforts, legal costs (kept extremely minimal by our amazing attorneys!), costs slated for our marketing campaign, visuals, our website, literature, and stipend for organizers and undercover advocates; we are proud to keep our overhead as low as possible while fighting for slaughter free cities to become the norm - starting with New York City!
Your support, along with our matching donor’s, will fuel us through the first few months of 2021. Thank you for your dedication to creating a Slaughter Free NYC!
- Dawn Ladd
- luke skolkin
Fundraising team (3)
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more