SmartVille Richings Park was launched in 2018 by volunteers in the community. They've set up the scheme; raised funds; manage incoming requests for information & deal with the relevant authorities.
SmartVille was set up as a direct response to a sharp increase in crime rates in Richings Park and the surrounding area, in particular 'aggravated burglary' and the theft of high-end vehicles.
The key objectives are:
- To provide ANPR & CCTV images that support the authorities in the identification and prosecution of those carrying out crime here
- To act as deterrent to those targeting the village for criminal purposes
So far, we have raised over £10,000 from residents and business donations, and from a £5,000 grant from the PCC fund.
These funds have purchased 4x ANPR cameras and 11x CCTV cameras. Each camera plays a part in helping to identify suspect vehicle's and to piece together it’s movements so we can provide valuable evidence to the authorities to help identify individuals and prosecute them.
Phase II is already underway, but we need to raise further funds to complete Phase II by installing cameras at all junctions within Richings Park and Thorney.
These cameras will:
- Help reduce the time it takes to gather evidence – sometimes time is off the essence!
- Provide more intelligence to help to identify vehicles and individuals.
- Provide stronger evidence to help secure arrests and successful prosecutions.
Richings Park Smarville is run by volunteers who provide their time for free to help to make Richings Park and Thorney a safer place to live… Every penny we receive goes into purchasing and maintaining equipment.
Please donate as much as you can afford to help us make our Village a place where criminals think twice about coming to!
NOTE: If you are a business who would like to discuss short- or long-term sponsorship, we would welcome an opportunity to speak with you to answer your questions. Sponsorship of the scheme doesn't have to be a large financial commitment.