The BLM Memorial Fence outside the White House, and the people protecting it, are at risk every day from "Christian" Trump Supporters, white supremacist militia groups, the city of D.C., rain and wind, and the threatening whimsy of tRump. A small collection of individuals have gathered to protect and hold space with it.
It is a memorial to our fallen Black and Brown neighbors and family, who have yet to see justice in the United States.
It serves as a living demonstration of our American rights to freedom of speech and freedom of protest.
It represents our obligation as Americans and to hold the leaders of our country accountable when they do not live up to the ideals they claim to stand for.
The people who stand with this memorial do so not only to protect it and its art, creativity, and the memories and voices of the people. They also stand with it to let the world know we will not be intimidated into sacrificing our values for mere comfort or safety. That we still have hope and love for this country and we still believe in us.
Unfortunately, due to COVID-19 and people’s fear for safety, we are far too small in number to do justice to this mission. Also, our supplies have been decimated by the city of D.C., the mayor of D.C., rage filled tRumpers, and inclement weather.
From now until the inauguration, we and our fence need your help with getting the following supplies.
1. Two generators – $1,800
2. Megaphones – $189.00/each
3. PA system – $2,000
4. Stipends for volunteers for the next 7 weeks – $2,500
5. Weather protection supplies – $200
6. Art Supplies/Printing costs/Flag Poles – $400
7. Transportation – $500
8. Emergency Hotel room reservation(s) – $1,000
The following items in our list of urgently-needed supplies above will go to Nadine, who has been maintaining the artwork on the memorial fence for most of the past three months (you can see a video of Nadine at work below):
1. A durable megaphone (they have a tendency to die or be destroyed and/or stolen) to amplify her voice.
2. Three flagpoles.
3. Two flags to replace those recently demolished by the city.
4. Four sign poles for the extendable “LOSER” and “FAILURE” signs (also recently destroyed by Park Police) behind the fence in Lafayette Square Park.
Find out more about the sign removal
5. Transportation for the 45 minute commute to and from the memorial wall
6. A reservation for a hotel room to use as a base on BLM Plaza. Nadine will stay in the hotel room while the tRumpers are planning another rally (approximately during December 12 - 15th) for the electoral vote.
Nadine at work.*
7. We need the battery powered PA system to play music and amplify voices. When tensions run high, playing music makes us safer and helps us stay awake. It also serves as an offering for our shelterless community; it gives them the ability to select songs they also wish to hear.
If you have never been without music, you may not realize how essential it is to our humanity. The need for music ranks up there with the need for food, water, and shelter. Music reminds us that we are human beings and deserve to be treated as such.
8. Art supplies, umbrellas, blankets, coats, food, and water are in constant need as the City of D.C. and its mayor, #MurielBowser, recently brought a dump truck to remove all of our supplies. As acts of micro — and MAGA — aggression by tRumpers and so-called “Christians” destroy the memorial fence on a regular basis. And we, as its guardians, continue to preserve and rebuild it.
*You can see more of Nadine's protest on IG — @WarriorGoddessForTheResistance.
The second generator will be for the William Thomas Memorial Anti-Nuclear Peace Vigil. This is a desperate need for them.
Philipos Melaku-Bello, the coordinator of the peace vigil, also needs additional volunteers to keep the vigil going, not just in these times, but indefinitely. If you know anyone interested in volunteering for the peace vigil, please have them email [email redacted]. Below is footage from the vigil. Philipos is shown in the first video:
(COMING SOON: more videos of fence destruction and violence)
Lastly, this type of activism is a 24/7 job. It’s extremely difficult to find enough individuals to stand guard at night. We need to be able to offer a stipend over the next 7 weeks to help encourage those willing to prioritize working for this cause.
PLEASE NOTE: The balance of whatever money is fundraised will be spent on additional megaphones, transportation costs and any potential emergencies.
In order to maintain transparency, we will account for all funds donated. Check this GoFundMe campaign for future updates.
Your help is important, not only by donating funds, but by sharing this campaign with any resources you may have via social media, email, and/or text messages.
We know we are stronger in numbers than it looks from the fence.
The individuals already here will continue to stand regardless of whether or not funds are raised. But our commitment, time, energy, and sacrifice will be much more meaningful if we have true support from those we protest and activate for. People like YOU.
Support our 24/7 protest and validate our faith in humanity. Thank you.
- Adelita Lopez
- Sarah Smith
Fundraising team: Nadine's Minions (3)
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more