At the beginning of the Covid Pandemic in 2020 Pinhole Coffee and Avedanos jointly participated in “Shared Spaces.” This program allowed merchants and community groups to use sidewalks, streets, and other nearby public spaces for neighborhood retail activities allowed under San Francisco’s Public Health Orders. Initially, this was a temporary effort. However, in 2021 the Board of Supervisors unanimously passed legislation to make the “Shared Spaces” program permanent in San Francisco and with that, a more streamlined permit process.
With the help of Bernal neighbor, architect and friend Alex Palecko we plan to make the following revisions for the safety, accessibility and longevity for the community.
1) Shortening our parklet for better visibility of cars and pedestrians (we recently added a mirror at the intersection of Cortland Ave. and Bonview St. for the same reason)
2) Creating a flush entrance from the sidewalk to the parklet for ADA
3) Providing more seating to maximize space for the community
4) Creating proper barriers for safety from traffic
5) Providing a proper emergency access gap with a moveable barrier
We aim to do this in the most sustainable way, reusing as much as we can from our current parklet. We are raising $20,000 to help cover costs of permits, insurance, architect/design fees, materials and labor. Our intention is to enhance the community, and we've been grateful to provide a "Shared Space" safely outside these last 2 years. If you've enjoyed our parklet up to now, please consider donating to continue the experience.
Founder Pinhole Coffee