You can make a difference by donating today to Our Kids Count of Thunder Bay Inc..
Our Kids Count is a community development organization that works with individuals and families to promote the health and development of all children and youth who are overburdened and in financial need. We aim to provide relief and reduce the impact of poverty on individuals, children, youth, and their families. Our mission is to empower individuals to build stronger families and inclusive communities by enhancing people's lives through personal growth and development.
We operate out of four sites in Thunder Bay that act as community hubs for families and individuals to gain new skills, meet new people, and be part of a network. Our programs focus on three pillars of need identified by our participants: Food Security, Parenting Support, and Mental Health.
As we have expanded our food security programs in recent years and been able to feed more families, we've run into a problem: How do we transport all this food? Currently, our team members make multiple weekly grocery trips in their personal vehicles, which has resulted in damage, hefty maintenance costs, and impacted their ability to use their vehicles outside work hours. Since we're currently using passenger vehicles to transport supplies, this also means less space - for food orders especially, we often have to make multiple trips, which results in time wasted and higher mileage costs.
We would like to purchase an OKC utility van that will be used to transport food and program supplies so that our hard-working program staff no longer have to sustain damage to their own vehicles.
Here's a snapshot of all the ways this could change the game for OKC:
- Saves staff from having to make multiple trips to bring food and supplies to our sites - this means more time to provide services for our participants!
- Keeps staff from having to pay for repairs that come more often with excessive wear and tear.
- Possibility of having an OKC decal on the vehicle to help us raise awareness and help more people in the community.
- Eliminates the need for staff to pay out of pocket for fuel and wait for reimbursement.
- Can be used to pick up and deliver donations that we don't have the capacity for right now, as well as allow us to pick up food on an "off week" from the RFDA.
- Makes set-up and take-down at community events and programs around the city much easier as we won't have to coordinate multiple vehicles for delivery.
- Helps new Licensed Home Child Care providers get their space set up by allowing us to deliver any furniture and supplies they may need.
This year for Giving Tuesday, you can help a local organization continue to provide services all over Thunder Bay!