Supporting the Transformation of Oakwood’s Green Spacehttps://www.facebook.com/Friends-of-Oakwood-158565324552242/
The good news is…
Oakwood Collegiate Institute is off the list of potential school closures – the Toronto school board is committed to keeping Oakwood open.
Improvements have been made to the century-old school building, and a landscape master plan is approved for the school grounds with a vision to create a welcoming social space with re-landscaped recreation areas that the community can share:
· A plaza at the corner of St Clair and Oakwood to expand useable outdoor space for students; student-built tables and benches will be installed here
· Rebuilt basketball court in a prominent spot at the corner of Oakwood and Rosemount, expanding it to include ping pong and chess tables
· Access to the field through openings in the fence along St Clair and removal of the part of the fence along the school and installing spectator seating
· An outdoor performance space which doubles as additional social and lunch space
· Raised beds where students with disabilities can garden
· Revamped the parking lot with improved traffic flow
What we all can do…
We invite you to participate in this important fundraising campaign and support this valuable community asset. The landscape plan includes the entire site, but only a portion of that project currently has funding from the school board.
Oakwood is our local green space. It’s the place where we can see the open sky, where kids play pick-up basketball and soccer, runners circle the track, and walkers enjoy the cherry blossoms. We neighbours can have easier access to the field, better athletic surfaces, and more social spaces for community recreation. Attractive new outdoor athletic and performance facilities will reflect the school’s specialty programs such as the orchestra and the championship basketball teams, and can showcase the students’ skills and accomplishments. This is a city-building project that will help keep the school viable.
How we can make it happen
Our fundraising can make a real and meaningful impact on completing the landscape project and expresses our support for the school’s revitalization.
Be sure to check our Friends of Oakwood Facebook page for the latest updates. https://www.facebook.com/Friends-of-Oakwood-158565324552242/
Friends of Oakwood is comprised of local community members together with our school trustee, working in collaboration with Oakwood C.I. and the Toronto District School Board in support of this landscape project.
Tax receipts may be issued for donations of more than $25. Request a tax receipt by emailing your name, address and donation amount to FriendsofOakwood@yahoo.com.