Hospital workers in ICU’s and ER’s are on the front line of this fight against COVID-19. They risk their personal health in order to protect us--their neighbors and friends. These folks are often self-isolating from their spouses and children at home in case they have contracted the virus and are asymptomatic.
Most of us have been asked to help through self-isolation, but would like to do something to help those on the front lines. We don’t have the means or materials to make protective masks or research anti-viral medicines. What we can do is show these brave people a small token of financial support along with messages about how much we appreciate what they are doing for all of us.
So what are we doing? Pretty simple plan.
1. Work with a local hospital to find out how many are staffing their ICU and ER departments on each shift.
2. Deliver $25 Grubhub gift cards one evening next week (this is highly preferable for hospitals vs. trying to deliver meals or takeout food directly). Every $25 you donate will feed one nurse/doc/therapist and some of their family.
3. (Optional but encouraged!) Finally, let’s do more than enter our credit card number for these folks. Please create signs and video messages and pictures expressing our gratitude for these people. (see details below)
With this, these heroes will be able to go home, have a convenient quality meal delivered to their house and perhaps a moment of peace knowing their neighbors care for them. Bonus points that we will also be supporting local restaurants and their employees through these tough times.
UC Health (Anschutz) has gotten back to us and is excited for our first delivery. Our plan is to send them 200, $25 grubhub cards on 4/08/20. At the same time, we will drop off signs of our support for their nurses, doctors, therapists, and staff. Their team will take a couple days hanging the signs along the elevated walkways between the hospital and the two employee parking lots. They said they have hundreds of square feet that can be covered, and that they think it will mean a ton to their team as they come/go between increasingly stressful shifts.
There are three things we need:
1. Please make signs, banners, and anything else -- and deliver them to one of the addresses below by noon on 4/07/20. We will have weatherproof bins outside of two houses. Please just walk up, open the bin, put in your signs, and then carefully close (and then sanitize your hands, obv). Goal here is a source of inspiration and gratitude to all the workers in healthcare. Making some for staff beyond the doctors, nurses and therapists might be appreciated as well. Feel free to make 10 or 20 signs if your family is having fun with it!
2. Any further donations are great. As of this moment, we have raised $5,900. After GoFundMe fees and our $5,000 GrubHub purchase, we will be back to near $0. We are excited to carry this forward to DenverHealth next, so please donate as you are able.
3. Please share the GoFundMe page and the sign details with anyone that you think might be interested.
Thank you! Please contact me with any questions or ideas,
Addresses for sign drop-off (starting 8am on 4/03/20):
Stapleton South: 8122 E 33rd Ave, Denver, CO 80238
Northfield: 4948 Willow St, Denver, CO 80238
Please take a video or picture of yourself or your family thanking those that are working hard and risking their health to keep this pandemic at bay. You could create a piece of artwork and scan it in or send a photo. Record an inspirational video with a story or simply a heartfelt thank you message. Be silly, be grateful, be scared - just be authentic and your gestures will brighten their day, trust us! Please add your videos or pictures to any/all of the following: [email redacted] (as an attachment), Facebook Page , or Instagram hashtag #denverhospitalheroes. Each recipient will get a link to these messages – so let’s make them fun and heartfelt and include maybe even make it a project in homeschool tomorrow! Keep your artwork!
After UC Health, we will move onto the next hospital. Thank you for your support!
Personal story from NYC MD
Please reach out to us if you'd like to copy/paste what we're doing for your local hospital. Thank you and God bless!
DonationsSee top donations
- Eddie Tracy
- Megan Lane
- Amy Hadank
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more