I'm raising money to help save the world!
I'm Lindsey. As long as I can remember, I've loved animals and the natural world. On a lark, I applied to sail a leg of a voyage around the world with eXXpedition , an all-female crew of scientists, storytellers, and thinkers. I was chosen!
In November, I'll be sailing around Antigua with 13 other bada$$ women to research microplastics and work together to develop sustainable, global solutions to plastic waste. My role on this trip is as a storyteller and connecter of people and ideas. My goal is to take what I learn and share the information and ideas with the young women I work with- so many of them are working to fight climate change and save the planet already.
I'd love your support and I'd be thrilled to share more about this trip with you! Together, we can do more and save the world!
ABOUT EXXPEDITION eXXpedition, the Community Interest Company behind Round the World 2019-2021, specialises in all-women sailing trips with a focus on highlighting the devastating impact single-use plastic and toxics from land-based activities are having on our planet’s oceans, ecosystems and on human health. Previous research carried out by eXXpedition has highlighted the endemic nature of microplastics within our ocean environments globally and the increasing potential impact they have on human health.
eXXpedition was founded in 2014 by ocean advocate Emily Penn and Dr Lucy Gilliam to make the unseen seen, from the toxics in our bodies to the toxics in our seas. eXXpedition became a Community Interest Company in 2017. You can read more information about our team here: www.exxpedition.com/team
eXXpedition Round The World will take place on the 70ft steel hulled ‘Yacht Discovery’, owned and operated by Discovery Expeditions. You can find out more about Discovery here: https://yachtdiscovery.co.uk/boat/
AIMS OF EXXPEDITION
● To collect scientific samples to feed into large-scale studies
● To explore the scale of plastic pollution and the available solutions
● To facilitate collaboration opportunities between the diverse crew of women – artists, scientists, filmmakers, sustainability professionals, businesswomen, sailors and so much more
● To empower the all-female crew to become more effective ocean ambassadors
● To carry out outreach events, where possible, to engage local communities and generate press coverage
AIMS OF EXXPEDITION ROUND THE WORLD
● Support solutions-based science by contributing to world class scientific studies that are urgently needed to inform up-stream solutions and close the loop on plastic waste on land
● Challenge perceptions by using our platform to inform and educate so that people can better understand the real problem of micro-plastics and use that to shape actions and solutions
● Create a community of change-makers and inspiring global ambassadors to tackle plastic pollution back on dry land. During their ocean experience participants discover the power of their individual roles in addressing the issues. Empowered by their first hand experience at sea we provide the tools, confidence and support they need to become effective leaders that can influence meaningful impact through their personal and professional communities.
SCIENCE ON BOARD For our Round the World voyages, eXXpedition will work in partnership with internationally-recognised ocean plastic experts to carry out plastics-related citizen science, both at sea and on shore.
Professor Richard Thompson and his team of scientists at the University of Plymouth will be taking the lead on our sea-based science programme, while the collaboration with Dr Jenna Jambeck and the University of Georgia will be focused on land impacts. The impacts on local communities will be measured using a Circularity Assessment Protocol, developed at the University of Georgia, which looks at everything from waste washed up on coastlines to plastics in community shops.