￼"It is not how much we give, but how much LOVE we put into giving" - Mother Teresa
HUMANS FOR HOPE: CREATING CONVERSATION ON STIGMA AND CONNECTING WITH OUR FRIENDS WITHOUT HOMES, ONE CONVERSATION AND ONE DONATION AT A TIME.
At the end of the day, WE ARE ALL ONE.
My name is Lindsay Gerhardt. Since I was young, I have always wanted to connect with individuals who are homeless. Their stories have completely changed my life over the years and I try to do whatever I can now to advocate their truths for them. No one should go silenced in society.
Throughout the years of just stopping on the street, volunteering at homeless shelters and working to help the homeless transition into housing at a mental health center, I have met the strongest souls with the most incredible stories just hoping someone will take the time not to judge, but to really get to know them and help them. These amazing souls deserve to feel safe and supported in our communities. They deserve real hope and unconditional love in their lives. Their stories show us that they are just human and that they are warriors fighting to survive everyday. Sadly, they never have a chance to use their voice and tell what makes them, them. I've always wanted to help them do just that.
In December of 2016, I finally told myself I was going to start going full force to do whatever it took to make my dream into an ongoing organization. I knew I wanted to start being able to not only help with resources, medical items/assistance, healthy food,clothing, etc but also by really connecting, sharing their stories and bringing their truths and beauties out of the shadows.
There started, HUMANS FOR HOPE.
Our mission of the project is to help the homeless of the Chicago land areas, not only by personally offering them choices of various needed items/services/resources on the street or at Grace Place Church (clothing, medical supplies, healthy food, etc) , but also through connecting and building relationships with them, doing what we can to help them feel heard. We document our friends' stories,talents, etc to help them feel heard, create conversation and also help break stigma for each individual and the overall population.
These are just everyday people who just want to be seen, heard and understood.
Humans For Hope collects motivational notes, healthy snacks / food, clothing, gym shoes/boots, medical supplies, and other various items, so PLEASE CONTACT ME IF YOU WOULD LIKE A LIST OF NEEDED ITEMS OR HAVE ANY ITEMS YOU WOULD LIKE TO CONTRIBUTE! WE ARE ALWAYS iTEM TAKING DONATIONS! We can set up a pick up or meet up for your convenience as well!
All monetary donations will go toward :
1. MEDICAL SUPPLIES ( wraps, bandages, antibiotic creams, fungal creams, diabetic testing strips, cough drops, nasal sprays, socks, foot creams, rash creams.feminine care, first aid kit items etc) MOST OF THE ITEMS ARE BETWEEN .50 and 2.00!
2. HEALTHY FOODS/SNACKS (fruits/veggies, trail mix, low /zero sugar snacks, granola bars, also any type of soft, healthy snack items, as many have lost teeth, or have minimal and that creates a hard time chewing )
3. PERSONAL CARE SUPPLIES (combs/brushes, toothbrushes, floss, soap, shampoo/condtioner, lotions, razors, feminine supplies, etc) MOST ITEMS COME IN PACKS BETWEEN 25 and 3.00!
4. BOOTS/SHOES/SOCKS/ OTHER CLOTHING/WEATHER ACCESSORIES/ SLEEPING BAGS & NEW UNDERWEAR/BRAS (Items can be found at Goodwill, The Dollar Store, etc for very low prices! A new pair of underwear, pair of boots or a warm jackect go such a long way!) .50-5.00
5. RESOURCE BOOKETS WITH LISTINGS OF SHELTERS/ORGANIZATIONS
(Many individuals do not have phones to store information and have no knowledge of resources in the surrounding areas for help. )
I will be sharing updates of the journey as well as the stories of those we meet along the way on the Humans for Hope Instagram page (IG: humansforhope) as well as the Facebook Page (Humans For Hope (facebook.com/humansforhopechicago)
If you're interested in sending a personalized inspirational note, donating items or if you would like to get involved and come on a give, please contact me, Lindsay Gerhardt, at (630) 220-8221 or email us at email@example.com
Thank you on the behalf of everyone who will be helped by all of your kind donations! :) Without you all, Humans For Hope would not be possible!
Much love <3