In today’s world, the gap between the haves and the have nots has widened drastically. The worldwide COVID-19 crisis has compounded this matter further. The unfortunate result is that many more children do not have enough money to get three square meals a day, to have a bicycle to enjoy with their friends or to afford going to college. This is where MPBC (The Massapequa Park Bicycle Club) comes in.
MPBC is a bicycle club of concerned cyclists and citizens who are all about giving back to our community in a big way. We are actually the oldest active bicycle club on Long Island and we have been giving back since our inception in 1974. We typically use our annual ride called The Tour of the Hamptons in September to fund our philanthropy but due to the COVID-19 crisis in 2020, we were unable to hold this event. There is also a risk that we will not be able to hold our Tour of the Hamptons in 2021 due to COVID-19. We did, however, hold a members only ride in 2020 at a higher price than usual which enabled us to make some donations to the high school in Southampton that hosted our event. Through some creative campaigns to attract new members, our club has just managed to stay afloat financially. Unfortunately, we have not had the discretionary funds to give back to our community in 2021 as we always have. Since MPBC is a non-profit organization, we have decided to put together this GoFundMe page to help raise funds to bolster our philanthropy. For us, it is all about helping the children and we hope you will be inspired to help us. WE WILL DIRECT 100% OF WHAT WE COLLECT THROUGH GOFUNDME TO HELP IMPROVE THE LIVES OF CHILDREN IN NEED!
You might be wondering what we will do with these funds. Our goal is to use this money for the following things:
- To feed hungry children who would not otherwise be getting three meals a day.
- To buy bicycles for children who cannot afford them. Not only will this put a smile on their face, but it will be good for their mental and physical health and it might help us find future MPBC club members.
- We hope to provide a helmet and other accessories to the kids who we buy bikes for
- We could continue to offer scholarships for needy children to help get them started in life so that they can eventually give back after they become successful. Let’s not forget, these children will build our world of tomorrow so let’s help them get ready to do that.
- Perhaps we could assist with books and fees for College as well.
- If we have enough funds, we could continue to donate to charities like Maureen’s Haven, Make a Wish and more.
- We are partnering with Island Harvest and Bikes for Kids in America to name just a few of our causes.
At MPBC, we have a modest goal of raising $25,000 which will enable us to help so many children. Keep in mind that if they are well fed, mentally and physically healthy and they do not need to worry about the high cost of education, they will stay focused on school, stay out of trouble and keep on the right path. No amount of money is too little. Every penny we raise will be directly used to put a smile on the face of a child in need.
Our club has always been about helping children. We have been making charitable donations for many years since our inception in 1974. We have also given out countless scholarships which have helped many kids go to school when they would not have been able to on their own. Finally, we have participated in countless “Bikes for Kids” programs in partnership with some local bike shops which enabled children to get a new bike that their parents could not afford.
Please help MPBC and in doing so, you will be helping many, many children who really need it. Keep in mind that the children of today are the leaders of tomorrow and your donation can help to remove obstacles from these children which enables them to achieve great things in their lives. The sky is the limit but we need your help to make it happen.