Hi everyone. I’m Nathan, the son of Timothy Pendleton. I need your help. On Friday, 05/14/2021, my friend noticed fire coming from the wood stove chimney of my dad’s house. We rushed to get there and found my dad, who had suffered a stroke less than a month earlier, trying to put out the fire himself. I got him out and he was air lifted to a hospital in Madison with what we originally thought were 1st and 2nd degree burns but were later told are 3rd degree burns over 15% of his body. He was then moved to a burn center in Minnesota, which is where he is now. He is in so much pain that he can't form sentences. He is on a lot of medication. I've been made his priority caregiver and I'm trying to figure out everything I can do within my capability.
All of his clothes and the majority of his tools got taken by the fire. He went to the hospital in a shirt and a pair of boxers. It could either be a month or longer until he's out of the hospital, then he will have to live in a nursing home while undergoing physical therapy. I'm hoping to fix something up for him to live in before he comes home.
I told a friend of my dad about what happened and they said I should mention all that he has done for the community so…my dad is a master carpenter/painter and dedicated his entire life to restoring many of our cities historic homes and businesses (for over 60 years). My dad has been working on his house since before I was born and hasn't had the money to finish it. The house was still in progress when this happened. The whole ceiling had not been drywalled and all the insulation was showing, so it wound up being engulfed in flames within the 1st 5 minutes. He doesn't have homeowner's insurance. We are blessed to even have him here because if we had not seen that fire for one more minute, I would not have had access to the house.