The Concerned Residents Coalition of Rockwood (CRC), Ontario, a grass-roots community organization, is in the final stage
of their seven-year effort to STOP the destruction of a significant portion of the environmentally sensitive Paris Galt Moraine.
A potential MEGA-QUARRY would be located within an active rural farming community and within 1 kilometre (three quarters of a mile) of the growing village of Rockwood. An aggregate company with a questionable environmental record, James Dick Construction Limited (JDCL) is attempting to open a quarry/open pit mine in a “Greenlands” area of the Moraine. The entire property and surrounding area are rated as having the two highest rated aquifer-water-recharge volumes making this, among other concerns, a serious water pollution threat.
LPAT (OMB) Hearing is underway with the CRC and three municipal governments presenting legal challenges
against the proposed quarry. The Hearing has already revealed a long list
of deficiencies in JDCL's scientific research. But the most concerning reveal is that JDCL has already purchased 200 more acres adjacent to the quarry which according to their spokesman they intend to assess for its aggregate potential. IF
the proposed quarry were approved it would almost certainly expand to 300 acres. At that point what would stop it from expanding into the surrounding countryside potentially leading to a 1000-acre MEGA-QUARRY?
The Paris Galt Moraine is under a serious threat. The volunteer Board of CRC ask you to please donate to help us fulfill an estimated $50,000 shortfall in our $850,000 budget to fully fund our legal challenge. In addition to the $700,000 cash raised over seven years, countless volunteer hours and ‘in-kind’ donations have allowed 90% of donations to go directly to the lawyers and expert witnesses essential to winning at the LPAT Hearing. The CRC has become a formidable force embraced by the local councils of Guelph Eramosa, Wellington, Halton Hills, Milton, and Halton Region, all of whom are united in our effort to STOP this ENVIRONMENTAL ASSAULT by JDCL.
Thank you for your concern. Thank you for your kind donation.
Below are a few key details of the threat.
1. The proposed Hidden Quarry would blast 30 metres (100 feet) into the aquifer exposing it to a full range of surface pollution.
2. Regional drinking water wells for Rockwood and Guelph as well as over 50 wells of surrounding homes and farms will face contamination and water level issues.
3. At least 100 acres of forest will be clear cut and wetland drained, resulting in a loss of precious habitat for numerous species of animals, birds and fish, some of which are ‘at risk.’ This clear cut would destroy important trees and plants that remove 260 tons of carbon dioxide every year from the atmosphere, an important component in our efforts to limit climate change.
4. This proposed 100-acre quarry would almost certainly expand to 300 acres and could potentially expand into a 1000-acre MEGA-QUARRY.
5. Additional problems include fly-rock danger, a huge increase in truck traffic on 2 lane commuter roads, air and water pollution, and the general economic collapse of this active community because quarries are NOT sustainable development. They leave a wake of destruction.
6. See www.hiddenquarry.ca
for full details.