Andres came to Miami from Costa Rica 22 years ago, at the age of 65, after raising 10 children. Throughout his many years in Miami, Andres has been living as an undocumented immigrant, making his living as a skilled seamster, carpenter and construction worker. He is now 87 years old, still strong and still working. But his heart is full of longing for his children, the many grandchildren he has never met, and his beloved homeland.
• Andres is at constant risk of being trapped in Trump’s deportation machine.
• Born 87 years ago, he grew up in his community of ethnic Bruncas in Boruca, Costa Rica.
• He is one of the few remaining speakers of the Brunca language. His older brother, who is 96 and waiting for Andres back in Costa Rica, teaches the language in the local school in their village. Andres wants to teach his language to the new generation of Bruncas.
• Having served as the midwife for all of his 10 children’s homebirths, he holds an immense amount of knowledge about natural and herbal health, women’s health and the birthing process.
• After his wife died during childbirth, Andres was left to raise his 10 children by himself, supporting them all the way to college and vocational school.
• His heart is torn between his love for his Miami community and his longing to live his sunset years with his family and in the land where he grew up.
• At his advanced age, he has no access to healthcare, and his ability to find work at 87 years old is getting very hard. His current financial situation is dire and he has no savings.
• Andres knows that this is his time to return to Costa Rica and reunite with his children, but he needs our help.
Please donate what you can and help us send Andres back to his homeland with dignity and with funds to support his transition!
- Alejandra Hernandez
- June Barrett
- Antonia Pena
- Camilo Mejia
- Natalia Jaramillo
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more