The people of the Gullah/Geechee Nation (www.gullahgeecheenation.com) have been fighting to keep their culture and traditions alive on the land that their families own from Jacksonville, NC to Jacksonville, FL. Over the past twenty years, the Gullah/Geechee Sea Island Coalition (www.gullahgeechee.net) has led the effort to keep Gullah/Geechee land ownership going and to protect the human rights of Gullah/Geechees worldwide.
Unfortunately, the Gullah/Geechee have continued to suffer land loss and also the loss of numerous lives in the Gullah/Geechee Nation with the drowning of a Gullah/Geechee family from Sandy Island and the murders of Walter Scott in North Charleston, and Cynthia Hurd, Suzy Jackson, Ethel Lance, Rev. Depayne Middleton-Doctor, Rev. Clementa Pinckney, Tywanza Sanders, Rev. Daniel Simmons Sr., Rev. Sharonda Singleton, and Myra Thompson at Emanuel AME in Charleston, SC in 2015. This does not count the numerous Gullah/Geechee elders that passed away due to stress related illnesses while fighting for their land over the past several decades.
Recently, global media has published stories and shown news reports regarding the displacement of Gullah/Geechees from their homeland. This media attention caused thousands of people to request that the Gullah/Geechee Sea Island Coalition and Queen Quet, Chieftess of the Gullah/Geechee Nation create this GoFundMe Campaign so that they can support the efforts of helping the land retention amongst the Gullah/Geechee. To that end, the funds raised here will assist with:
• the fundraising for legal matters for Gullah/Geechee land retention and human rights protections
• provide for additional FREE Gullah/Geechee community land rights, heirs property, and human rights workshops and materials so that Gullah/Geechees can protect their land ownership and keep their cultural heritage and traditions alive on their land
• the sponsorship of the inaugural "Black Folks Land Legacy Conference" which will be held on St. Helena Island, SC in the Gullah/Geechee Nation March 10-12, 2017
Queen Quet, Chieftess of the Gullah/Geechee Nation (www.QueenQuet.com) & De Gullah Cunneckshun will continue the "Gullah/Geechee Land & Legacy World Tour" (https://gullahgeecheenation.com/2013/11/14/queen-quet-de-gullah-cunneckshun-gullahgeechee-land-legacy-tour/)
during 2017. This fund will continue to support the expenses of this world tour that is entering its third year of raising global awareness of the genocidal attacks against and the environmental justice, human rights, and land rights issues of the Gullah/Geechee Nation .
We are calling on all those that support the Gullah/Geechee Nation in their continued stand for self-determination to
1) become dues paying members of the Gullah/Geechee Sea Island Coalition www.gullahgeechee.net which can be done online online at www.gullahgeechee.biz.
2) sponsor a Gullah/Geechee fundraiser and community awareness event in your community no matter where you are in the world as part of the "Gullah/Geechee Land & Legacy World Tour."
3) come to the Gullah/Geechee Nation for "Gullah/Geechee Volunteer Month" in March annually to assist with environmental and social justice projects along with hundreds of other volunteers from around the world. Email [email redacted] for more details.
4) donate to the official 501(c)3 of the Gullah/Geechee Nation if you would like to receive a tax deduction. Go to www.gullahgeecheeangelnetwork.com
Tenki Tenki ta hunnuh fa de support!
GAWD bless de Gullah/Geechee land and we legacy!
DonationsSee top donations
- Anne Goess
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more