Glitter Cymru is raising funds to support the LGBT+ (Lesbian, Gay, Bi & Trans) ethnic minority community living in Wales.
Glitter Cymru is a Cardiff based grass roots community group run by LGBT+ ethnic minority people for LGBT+ ethnic minority people since 2016.
Before the COVID pandemic, we would facilitate regular social meet-ups for our community to gain support, make friends and feel a sense of validation.
Our group attendees range from asylum seekers, international students to local residents.
LGBT+ ethnic minority people experience a great deal of othering from the wider predominately white LGBT+ scene as well as from people who share our own ethnicities.
Don’t just take our word for it. Recent research from leading UK LGBT+ charity Stonewall, found that 51% of LGBT+ ethnic minority people had faced racism from the wider LGBT community, this figure increases to 61% for Black LGBT+ people.
Glitter Cymru aims to empower its attendees and equip them with the skills and confidence to navigate wider society.
Since lockdown, our community has faced great challenges, such as isolation and feelings of uncertainty that have deeply impacted people’s well-being. Due to COVID, all of our social engagement work has gone online, but this has caused accessibility barriers for many of our attendees without technology. With that said, we’ve set up this GoFundMe page to help us with the following:
1. Purchase a 1 year subscription to Zoom. Currently, we are relying on a free limited Zoom account.
2. Purchasing of smart phones/devices that will help Glitter Cymru attendees attend our weekly Zoom meet-ups.
3. Data/ mobile top ups for the devices mentioned in pointer 2. This assures our attendees remain connected with one another.
4. Purchasing of supermarket vouchers for our attendees who are short on funds for food.
5. Funds to offer 1-2-1 counselling sessions to our attendees. We encourage and promote that people talk about their mental health. We have a great trained counsellor within our group, who we’d like to pay to offer more sessions to those in need.
Thank you for reading and we’d be grateful for your donations. Follow us on all social media platforms (@glittercymru) for more information on our work.