George’s journeyy

We have set up this page to try and raise funds for George to have intense physio therapy at the bobath centre in London. George currently receives 40-60 mins physio therapy every two weeks. We are also looking into brain cell transplantation and SDR surgery which we believe George will benefit from. Any help including fundraising ideas would be greatly appreciated. Here is our little miracle George’s story.

He was born on the 10th of July 2018 at just 23weeks6days gestation with a survival rate of just 25-30%!

During labour we was refused any monitors because George wasn’t 24 weeks gestation he had no viability, meaning if he did stop breathing at any point there would be no medical intervention. We went through a long four days of labour not knowing the outcome of our beautiful boy and knowing that if he did not make it we would not be allowed a birth/death certificate or to bury our own child.

 Against the odds George arrived feisty as ever and was put on a life support machine at 6minutes old. He weighed just 700grams. 

At 6 days old George developed NEC which is a disease in the bowel , my tiny little baby who couldn’t even bare to be touched had to be transferred hospital for emergency surgery, during the surgery the surgeon accidentally cut into George’s liver causing him to bleed out , they put in a emergency stoma and gave him numerous blood transfusions.

It was 4am and me and Daniel was took into the room were they explained George was not going to make it , he had lost to much blood and his body had gone into septic shock and was beginning to shut down. It didn’t seem real or fair this was happening , the week before he was inside me perfect and safe! 

 I told the doctor I wanted to get George’s birth registered whilst he was still here , I wanted it to be a happy memory but she strongly advised me not to leave his side because he just had hours.

We was overwhelmed with a lot of information which all seems like a blur. We was told that his life support was going to be switched off and we would take him into the room with us we’re we could be alone , we would chose him some clothes and a professional photographer would come. My baby boy hadn’t even opened his eyes yet and seen his mummy or daddy , or managed to cry.

George’s infection marker was up so high the medical staff had never seen anyone survive it. But as hours passed whilst we was waiting to get George baptised and for his nan nans to be with us he began to show slight improvement, he was still fighting !! The tiniest bit of hope gave us a whole new strength to fight with him.

George is here and he made it !!! 

However from George’s surgery he was left with no movement in his arms and legs. A mri scan was done and showed that 75% of George’s cerebellum ( a part of the brain that is responsible for balance and co ordination) was severely damaged.

George has proved everyone wrong and gone against everything the professionals know and I believe he is going to carry on doing that. I believe with the right help George will thrive, but early intervention is key.

During the rest of George’s time in the hospital he had a further three bowel surgeries due to developing nec again.

Over 20 blood transfusions.

Sepsis 4 times.

Treated for meningitis.

2 eye surgeries with uncertain sight.

11 ambulance trips.

3 hospitals

1 helicopter

Chronic lung disease

PDA - duct in his heart still open

ROP- in both eyes

Pulmonary hypertension 

And we are now at home awaiting George’s 7th surgery which will be for his heart.

Our boy made it !

  • Benjamin Fitzgerald 
    • £10 
    • 36 mos
  • Rebecca Brimelow 
    • £187 
    • 37 mos
  • Jeremy Provencher 
    • £10 
    • 40 mos
  • Dorothy Hopkinson  
    • £10 
    • 40 mos
  • Elizabeth Goode 
    • £25 
    • 41 mos
See all

Organizer and beneficiary

Hanna Rose 
Daniel Bownes