The Fire Services Museum of Victoria is a not-for-profit organisation dedicated to preserving and showcasing fire-fighting memorabilia from Victoria, Australia and overseas. We bolster one of the largest collections of fire-fighting memorabilia in Australia. Our main exhibition area is located in one of our most special exhibits; the original headquarters of the Metropolitan Fire Brigade (MFB) on the corner of Gisborne St and Victoria Parade, East Melbourne.
To help be the best community members that we possibly can, we are looking to upgrade some things at our Newport workshops site. This will improve things for our visitors and make sure our volunteers have everything they need to ensure we can protect the environment around us.
Any revenue the Museum makes is funnelled back into preserving Fire Fighting history and upgrading our displays, allowing us to communicate better and educate the community.
We've recently had discussions with the EPA and some "Worksafe" type people to get advice on what we can improve on from where we are now, so we've started a "Go fund me" to help us implement the recommendations they gave us.
The funds will be used to:
- Upgrade safety equipment such as first aid kits, safety rails, line marking for safe walkways etc
- Improve our Environmental Management Capability, for example, spill containment training and equipment, upgrade filters etc
- Get some specialists in to assist us with some cleaning that has been recommended
- Spill trays & spill covers for some of the trucks to reduce any chance of leakage etc.
- Anything left over goes into restoration and maintenance of our vehicles and artefacts.
This will all help us ensure we are the best community members that we can be.
We've set an initial target of $3000, and we'd like to obtain that within six months to get the ball rolling on these projects later this year.
The Museum is entirely volunteer and runs on donations, revenue from Museum entry, tours and open days, vehicle hire for events, films/tv/photo shoots, and souvenir sales. Any donations at all would be absolutely fantastic!
Why not check us out on facebook @FSMVic or via our website https://www.fsmv.net.au