What We Do. Why We Do It.
What is Flip My Life? Scroll down to watch Flip My Life Concept Video
Flip my life is part renovation show, part redemption tale, and a part love story that every viewer in the world will relate to and root for.
Because every viewer in the world has ‘the one who got away.’
That’s what Rick Woodall and Marybeth Conley were for each other until Marybeth’s curious teenage daughter found Rick on social media after her mom casually mentioned an eighth-grade crush. So what happens when a 30-year award-winning contractor and a 30-year Emmy-winning broadcaster get a second chance at their first love?
They develop a project that gives others a second chance.
“Flip My Life”
• Takes houses abandoned to the tax rolls and renovates them back into homes for people returning to their community from prison
• Tells the story of good people who have done bad things and are working hard to redeem their lives
• Profiles only returning citizens who have been vetted through programs mentoring inmates in various life skills needed for productive lives
• Explores issues in a returning citizen’s family life and history that contributed to the incarceration
• Gives viewers real-life renovation inspiration that is in reach of average viewers
Rick and Marybeth have a very personal reason to care about others succeeding when rebuilding their lives. With a marriage failing and a daughter in college as the economy cratered in the 2008 Great Recession, Rick made his own bad decision.
He took an unloaded BB gun into a bank and in one moment of desperation, went from successful contractor to bank robber.
His 3 1/2 years in prison showed him the inequities of the criminal justice system first-hand and taught him more about empathy than he expected. He also realized his privilege when re-entering society: as a business owner with loyal clients, he didn’t have the barriers to employment that so many experienced. And just as Rick was headed to a prison 1,000 miles away, Marybeth was turning to God for the first time ever in her own last-ditch search for purpose and peace in a career that looked successful but felt empty and shallow. Little did they know they were on parallel paths toward the same place.
Rick and Marybeth have gotten a second chance at love. They want to help others get a second chance at life.