Edel House is perhaps the best known of Good Shepherd Cork’s projects. Providing emergency accommodation for homeless women and children. In addition to providing emergency shelter, their staff work with women, empowering them to return to independent living as soon as possible. With their help 80% of the women that seek shelter at Edel House find a new home within 3 months of admission. Edel House is the only homeless shelter in Cork that can admit and care for children.
My name is Dan Sweeney, I'm from Cork and I have an office in the heart of Cork City. I first met Claire Harrington from Edel House a number of months ago and immediately wanted to help.
I aim to raise €30,000 in 2019 with your help. This €30,000 will also enable Edel House to access a further €30,000 grant. Theses funds will be withdrawn by Edel House themselves via gofundme. The money raised on this campaign will allow Edel House to help 80 families with over 170 children over the course of the year through :
- Meeting with families and assessing their housing, practical and emotional support needs.
- Assisting families to complete the necessary documentation and procedures to facilitate their exit from homeless services.
- Supporting parents to limit the effect of homelessness of themselves and their children.
- Initiating referrals to the Homeless Action Team, Tusla and Family Support Services, as required.
- Supporting children, with the engagement of their parents, in terms of their physical, emotional and intellectual needs.
- Developing and implementing appropriate and agreed care plans with children.
- Providing one to one and group play sessions and activities with the children.
- Identifying particularly vulnerable children for more therapeutic support where required.
- Liaising with schools and other agencies involved in the well-being of children, as relevant.
We would love your support on this campaign and appreciate any donation you can make.