When I first got to the convention center the servity of Harvey's damage became acutely real. I was moved by the number of pets to go buy a bag of dog food for donation. I offered on my personal facebook page to accept fund transfers to go buy needed supplies for the shelter on my friends' and family's behalf. Fiscal donations started steadily pooring in!
With the help of my family and friends in Houston, I am using the funds sent to me to purchase items on a daily basis for the people and pets displaced by hurricane Harvey's effects. I'm volunteering with the medical team at NRG Emergency Shelter on a nightly basis. So I'm regularly polling the medical team and making my own observations in the shelter as to what is needed. The next morning, I check the shelter request lists and go shop with whatever funds have come to me since the previous shopping trip. My cousins and friends have also started collecting projects outside the shelters. When we hear of a coworker/neighbor/friend in need of assistance we try to provide the exact items most useful to them at this time.
What exactly do I buy on my supply runs?
- pet supplies (dog and cat) is included in most supply runs
- baby essentials (diapers/bottles/formula/wipes/blankets)
- feminine hygeine products
- adult diapers
- personal hygiene items(hair ties/brushes/combs/deodorant/toothpaste/toothbrushes
- over-the-counter medical supplies (benedryl/hydorcoritsone cream/ thermometers/whatever the medical team is in short on during my volunteer shift)
- underwear (socks/underwear/under shirts)
- clothing/shoes on specific request, for that person's size
What happens to the supplies?
- We deliver them to the shelter accepting the items purchased
- We drive them to other towns and deliver to our friends in need there
Will anyone else have access to these funds?
- Yes! I am coordinating with my physician assistant classmates and personal family and friends to figure out where the funds can be best used for direct deliveries like mine. I will ultimately be dispersing funds to other areas via my medical collegues and family members based on their observations as volunteers in other greater Houston areas as well.
How will I know where my money goes?
- I will post a picture of both the day's haul and a can of the receipt to my fundraising facebook page as well as my own personal page.
***I will stop accepting donations at midnight on 9/15/17***
Follow your donation's journey at:
or --> Follow your donation's journey here!!
- Nancy Oreskovich
- Katie Worthington
- Andrea Ewalefo
- Avione Pichon
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more