A few of the Head and Neck surgeons in our Department started a campaign four years ago called CHANCE (Complex Head and Neck Care and Education). This mission is focused on providing care to those persons in Haiti who suffer from various head and neck disorders who are unable to travel to Philadelphia for care, and who do not have access to the surgical expertise, funds, or other resources needed to get the care they need. Our surgeons have partnered with Haitian doctors at Hospital Lumiere in Bonne Finne and St. Lukes Hospital in Port-au-Prince to provide care, hope and a CHANCE to the Haitian population.
As of June 2017, Project CHANCE
• Has performed more than 50 major head and neck surgeries.
• Has examined more than 200 patients in clinic.
• Has performed more than 15 free-tissue-transfer reconstructions—the first ever to perform such a procedure in Haiti.
• Has sent a team to Haiti at least twice a year that includes an average of three surgeons and three nurses; in January 2017, CHANCE sent a team of 16, which included a Jefferson patient.
• Has established a program enabling Haitian medical residents to travel to Jefferson for three months of training with the Head and Neck team.
• Is leading a task force to bring cancer care to Haiti.
I have been given the opportunity to share in the next week-long outreach trip to Port-au-Prince later this month. I will be traveling with a team lead by Drs. Joseph Curry and David Cognetti, as well as other trained surgeons and health care providers, to assist in this very important cause.
Any funds raised in excess of what is needed to cover the cost of my flight, transportation, and lodging will go toward offsetting costs for the patients we help and furthering the CHANCE initiative.
THANK YOU for taking the time to read this, and for considering making a donation in support of our efforts. I am incredibly excited to participate in such a worthy cause and grateful for your generosity. No donation is too small! Thank you again!
Pictures below are from previous trips. The top picture is of St Luke's Hospital in Port-au-Prince where I will be going. The bottom picture is of Drs. Curry and Luginbuhl who started the CHANCE initiative along with Dr. Cognetti...
- Carmen Inclan
- Jennifer Poston
- Jessica Weiss
- Dave/Kathy Heim
- Patricia Barts
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more