Nearly half of the LGBT community is nonreligious so let's do something as humanists, atheists, and secularists of any label. The Central Florida Freethought Community (CFFC) is proud to offer our support to the families in a unique way.
This fundraiser is established to cover the costs of secular memorial services for the families of any victims that request non-religious services including:
- A certified Humanist Celebrant of the Humanist Society or a certified Secular Celebrant of the Center for Inquiry
- Services of a funeral home or similar secular venue
- Unused funds will be donated as indicated below
Your support is requested immediately and this campaign will be increased when needed to support additional requests. All funds not used directly to support the above-listed goals will be donated to Equality Florida and The GLBT Center in equal shares on July 15th, 2016.
Guidance and assistance is being provided by the Humanist Society, the Center for Inquiry, the Secular Coalition for America.
GoFundMe recommends we answer these questions to assure donors are supporting a legitimate campaign. We are glad to do so and welcome inquiries regarding this fundraiser.
1. Who we are:
Central Florida Freethought Community (CFFC) is a Florida 501(c)(3) non-profit corporation registered with the IRS. We advocate for separation of state and church as we assist several other local organizations in building a thriving secular community in the Orlando area. All donations are tax-deductable. See our IRS determination letter here and record of 2015 IRS Form 990 filing here.
2. Where we are from:
We are secular people, generally atheists, humanists, religious skeptics, and other non-believers in and around the Orlando area. Find out more about us at our website www.cflfreethought.org. Our corporate address is in Orlando, Florida, but our mailing address is in Oviedo, Florida.
3. Our relationship to the parties for which we are raising funds:
As allies of the LGBT community, we are in communication with Equality Florida and The GLBT Center of Central Florida regarding our interest in providing this assistance and our intention to donate unused portions of donations received.
4. How the funds will be spent:
Celebrants will be expected to donate their time to prepare for and conduct memorial services and will not be reimbursed for their efforts.
100% of funds raised will be used to pay for:
- Travel associated costs for celebrants who require assistance with airfare, lodging, and meals.
- Fees typically associated with a secular memorial services and funeral home fees at a location of the family's choice.
- We will provide assistance to families who wish to have their service in other areas of the US.
- We can provide only limited assistance for families wishing to have services peformed outside the US.
- Donations will not be used for burial or cremation services, burial plots, or head stones.
- CFFC assumes that other organizations will cover the costs of travel for service attendees and is extremely grateful to JetBlue Airlines for their support of the families.
A COPY OF THE OFFICIAL REGISTRATION AND FINANCIAL INFORMATION MAY BE OBTAINED FROM THE DIVISION OF CONSUMER SERVICES BY CALLING TOLL-FREE (800-435-7352) WITHIN THE STATE. REGISTRATION DOES NOT IMPLY ENDORSEMENT, APPROVAL, OR RECOMMENDATION BY THE STATE.
DonationsSee top donations
- Greg Epstein
- Cherie Dye
- Jean Porgal
- Beth Deitch
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more