CCHistoricalSociety Save Adele’s

44337726_1577410814372283_r.jpegThe Carson City Historical Society Board held an emergency meeting on December 21 to discuss the eminent demolition of Adele’s, and strategized on how this historic building could be preserved.  The Board voted to pursue a fund raising campaign to work with the community to preserve the 155 year old Adele’s building at 1112 North Carson Street, Carson City, Nevada.  The Board has set up a special fund to #Save Adele’s, and has donated $1000 of its own funds to the effort.  The Board’s intent is to make funds available to a future building owner in exchange for a commitment to the preservation of the historical portion of the building.  Jacksons Food Stores Inc., who recently received permission to expand onto the site, has offered the building for free to anyone who would like to move it by March 1, 2020.   The Society looks forward to working with Jacksons Food Stores, Inc and the future building owner to ensure the building is preserved.  The goal set for SAVEADELE’S fundraising campaign is $100,000.

 

This historic building was originally built by Captain Porter of the V & T workshops in 1874 and purchased by Benjamin F. Slater in the 1880’s.  It is a lovely Victorian home replete with Empire style Mansart roof and dormer windows.  It was home to Judge Michael A. Murphy who lived there in the 1890’s and later became the home of Frank E. Murphy who worked for the Virginia and Truckee Railroad in the 1920’s.  It has generally evolved over time to become a survivor of the past.  

 

​For over 40 years, Adele’s restaurant, the ultimatecommunity hot spot, has occupied the building.  It has been a “go to” place where history has been made through political meetings, fundraising events and the celebration of milestones.  Over time, additions were placed on the north, south, and west sides of the original historic home.  A fire in March 2019 caused the closure of the restaurant.

 

​The Carson City Historical Society, a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization, was founded in 1969 as the Nevada Landmarks Society.  The group came together to save the Foreman-Roberts House from demolition.  In 1874, the Foreman-Roberts House was relocated from Old Washoe City and placed at 1207 North Carson Street, Carson City where it still stands.  In 1969, the Society and community came together to successfully stop the demolition of this historic building.  The Society has preserved the building, and maintains a museum in the house.  

 

According to Jeff Loflin, First Vice President of the Society, “So many of our historic buildings have been demolished over the years—the Virginia and Truckee engine house, Nevada Orphans Home, Central School (across from Brewery Arts), Odd Fellows Hall (across from the Blasdel building) and others.  The Carson City Historical Society hopes to save Adeles through communitydonations to this preservation fund.  Please help us save this once beautiful home for our future generations.”

 

According to the Society, should Adele’s not be saved, funds raised will be earmarked for future preservation or historic projects in Carson City.  The Society is proud of its success in working with the community in saving the Foreman Roberts House, and looks forward to success again in working with the community to save the Adele’s building.

 

Donations (0)

  • Anonymous 
    • $20 
    • 1 d
  • Anonymous 
    • $200 
    • 2 d
  • Anonymous 
    • $25 
    • 2 d
  • Anonymous 
    • $20 
    • 3 d
  • Jessie Dummer 
    • $250 
    • 4 d
See all

Organizer

Donna McLaren 
Organizer
Carson City, NV
Carson City Historical Society 
Registered nonprofit
Donations are 100% tax deductible.
Learn more
  • #1 fundraising platform

    People have raised more money on GoFundMe than anywhere else. Learn more

  • GoFundMe Guarantee

    In the rare case that something isn’t right, we will refund your donation. Learn more

  • Expert advice, 24/7

    Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more