Since the beginning of the COVID pandemic, our small team - just two cooks and a handful of delivery drivers - have prepared and delivered 10,000 (ten thousand) healthy, vegetarian meals to people across east Kent.
What started out as an effort to help a handful of vulnerable friends and acquaintances soon turned into something much more than that, as people became inspired by our small attempt to lend a hand in a time of crisis; what resulted was a community effort to care for anyone we could find who would suffer without our help.
Although lockdown measures are now being eased, we are still seeing an increased demand for our Sunday meal service, with more people in more towns reaching out to us every week to help feed them and their friends, families and neighbours.
We have decided to commit to serving these people in every way that we can, and are aiming to at least triple our distribution to 30,000 meals in the next 12 months, but with the resources and facilities which we currently have, there's no way we can meet the demand without some help.
With this in mind we have teamed up with Food For All UK and Community Spaces to secure the use of a building in the centre of Canterbury where we are in the process of setting up a large kitchen which is capable of providing a huge number of meals.
This kitchen will enable us to
- Triple the number meals which we provide for people who need them
- Deliver to care homes, hospitals, homeless shelters and more
- Provide a huge number of volunteering opportunities for local people
- Help to reduce food waste by diverting good food from landfill
Everything that we install will be removable and ours to keep, meaning that, should we need to vacate the building, we can pack everything up and move it to a new venue.
The amount needed will cover
- Storage containers for shelf-stable (ambient) foods
- Cookers (hobs and ovens)
- Commercial standard linoleum/vinyl flooring
- Cooking utensils (knives, chopping boards, etc)
- Stainless steel work surfaces (to meet government hygiene regulations)
- PPI and other clothing for volunteers
- Fire extinguishers and relevant health & safety notices
It's literally impossible for us to do this alone, so please give generously if you can and be a part of this huge collective effort!
DonationsSee top donations
- James Cotton
- Rachel Anderson
- Padmalochana Das
Fundraising team (6)
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more