@Skater_Claus (Insta & Twitter)
We run a project called Skater Claus (a skateboard cause), or Boards 4Kids. We buy or collect skateboards & skateboard parts (new or used), & give skateboards to kids that are interested in learning to skate. We want to do a skate demo & give away a lot of boards later this year, & are raising funds. (More info in this article: http://voyageatl.com/interview/meet-mark-condit-skater-claus-edgewood/
There are a variety of ways we identify the kids. We work with charities, social workers who work with kids in foster care, & churches. We even started a skate crew in my neighborhood with the local kids (The VSSC Vannoy Street Skate Crew). The VSSC also is spreading the word in school & summer camp. We have found some kids to give boards to by word of mouth!
The skate community has been very generous, & we have gotten many donations of boards & parts. We’ve also had some really cool people donate helmets, as we want to keep the kids safe as they are shredding! Plus, Parlay Distribution sent me 32lbs of grip tape!
Here’s why we’re trying to raise money
· We have a huge pile of decks, but not enough wheels, bearings, & trucks. The vast majority of the money will be spent to set up complete boards to give to kids.
· Helmets!!! We want to give out new helmets with boards to ensure kids are safe. Many kids already have helmets, but we want to provide them for those who don’t.
· Skate Demo/Board Giveaway!!! We are going to put on a skate demo & board give away in a local Atlanta community. We are going to teach the basics, have some dope skaters do some tricks, & give away a ton of boards! Some of the money will help to offset any costs, & the more we bring in the more we can do at this event (maybe BBQ and provide food for all the kids).
· Promotion. NONE of the money donated will be spent directly on promoting the cause, but we will be filming the skate demo/board giveaway & we think the footage we collect will greatly help to further promote the cause & help more kids. Also, we want to use the footage as a tool to try & encourage other people around the world to do something similar.
Here’s what you get
· You get to help out a kid & encourage the next generation of skateboarders!
· I will be your best friend & you will always be invited to my birthday party
· Free lifetime membership in the VSSC, which can be honorary or you can come skate with us anytime. Membership also has other benefits, every member will have your back for life. Loyalty is 1 of the 4 wheels that keeps the VSSC balanced. Our code is:
o Disciple (always strive to get better, no matter what level you’re at)
o Respect (for all people & property)
o Integrity (keep it 100)
o LOYALTY (you have your crew’s back no matter what)
· Hand written thank you letter
· Custom piece of artwork from 1 of the kids
The top 5 donors (if we even get 5) get a special package which includes
· All of the above
· A piece of designer grip tape (courtesy of Parlay Distribution)
· A custom made VSSC t-shirt
· Unlimited hugs & high 5’s for life
Anything you give is very much appreciated & will go to helping a kid. If you have an extra dollar & can contribute please do so… but if you don’t please just share this with your network. It helps a lot!
Skate & Destroy, Live & Enjoy, Boards 4Kids, Skater Claus (a skateboard cause), VSSC, Parlay Distribution, Keep spreading the word!