I went to my regularly scheduled ultrasound on Tuesday June 19, 2018. The ultrasound was to recheck a few things that they could not see from 20 week anatomy scan done on May 24, 2018. During the recheck ultrasound they noticed that baby A’s feet were now down low and was making it hard to see my cervix. Because of them not being able to see my cervix they decided that a vaginal ultrasound was necessary for them to see. During that part of the exam they saw that my cervix had started to open and the fluid sac was starting to protrude out.
At this time the doctor came in and talked to me about getting admitted to the hospital and wanting to monitor me for signs of labor. They said with what they were seeing that I was at high risk for preterm labor and could likely deliver the twins soon.
I called Adam right away and he was able to be there within an hour. I was showing no signs of labor but during the ultrasound they could tell that I was already dilated to about 2cm. Since I was only 23 weeks and 6 days they told me that the Maple Grove Hospital doesn’t take babies under 26 weeks and that I was going to need to be transferred to another hospital. We chose to come to the University of Minnesota Fairview where I was transported via ambulance.
When I got there they hooked me up to fetal monitors and and had me started on an IV. At one point I felt what might have been having a contraction and a very full bladder. When I went and used the restroom I noticed some discharge and bloody mucus as well. This was all a concern for me to go into preterm labor. They had the doctor come in and perform another ultrasound to see if things had progressed. She did notice that I had dilated more and she could also see feet and a leg of baby A down in the sac that was protruding out of my cervix. We tried very hard to get through the night and into morning so I could get the second shot of steroids for lung development. But against all of our efforts I started to show more signs of going into labor.
The doctors recommended that we needed to do a c-section as soon as possible to protect the health of the babies. They started the process of prepping me and getting everything ready for me to have the surgery. Once they brought me back they said that they would try once for a spinal block if they couldn’t get it they would knock me out and Adam would not be able to be there during the surgery.
Thankfully, they were able to successfully administer the spinal block and Adam was able to join me and witness our 2 beautiful miracle babies being born. Baby B was born first at 12:48am on June 20 weighing 1lb 8oz. Her name is Amelia Jane Mely. Baby A was born next at 12:49am weighing 1lb 4.5oz. Her name is Paige Ann Mely. After they were born they each had their own team of doctors working on them. I was able to hear Amelia cry for a second and I heard that Paige was kicking and moving pretty good. While I was getting stitched back up they did bring Amelia around and Adam and I were able to see her for a minute before they went off to the NICU. I did not get to see Paige after she was born.
Once I was done with the surgery and out of the post opt they did bring Adam and I to see the girls where we got to see Amelia again a little closer and meet Paige for the first time. We were both able to touch Paige for a little bit. As of now I am in recovery and the girls will be in the NICU most likely till their due date which is October 10th. That may change. We will do our best to keep everyone updated. Please pray for everyone at this time.
DonationsSee top donations
- Brooke Alstrup
- Alyssa Kruzel
- Lindsey Jerke
Organizer and beneficiary
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more