We are WeLoveChainhurst, a group of neighbours concerned about plans to turn the rural Kent village of Chainhurst into a chicken farm with 192000 chickens!
Find us online here -
Twitter & WeLoveChainhurst & Facebook
We’ve had quotes from independent specialists who we’ll ask to write reports commenting on the planning application, much as the residents of Horsmonden did when they managed to get a similar planning application withdrawn. Funds raised will be used to pay for the specialist independent advice and written reports in order to give us the strongest objection we can to the planning application.
If by some miracle, we raise more than we need, any excess will be donated to the RSPCA.
Just a reminder of what is proposed -
* Three sheds each 250m long housing 64000 chickens each, with range areas extending from each shed fenced in with 2.5m high wire fencing.
* HGVs travelling from Marden through Chainhurst on Hunton Road (to deliver feed and remove eggs and waste) to the access point where the old Hoppers Huts are.
* Footpaths diverted either along the river where it floods in winter or between 2.5m high fences to the other side of the farm.
So far, those that are aware have expressed concerns such as -
* The possibility of contamination to the river Beult, a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI), resulting from run-off of poultry “waste” in the river’s catchment area.
* The impact of additional HGV’s & traffic on our rural roads while the farm is being built and once it’s operational.
* The impact that three 250m long poultry sheds will have on the local environment & wildlife.
* The need to divert or even temporarily close local footpaths.
As concerning as the above issues are, we have greater concerns about potential human health implications, such as outbreaks of avian flu and salmonella, specifically at Fridays’ farms. News stories about chicken welfare have also recently come to public attention.
DonationsSee top donations
- Nicola Mallett
- kev&Adele Back
- C Courtley
- George Redfern
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more