The picturesque island of St. Martin is well known for its crystal blue waters, beautiful beaches and friendly people. Millions of travelers have made St. Martin the #1 travel destination in the Caribbean. Some people call it paradise, for my family, St. Martin is home. It’s the place our ancestors were born, raised and died; it’s where our family began and where many family members still live.
Our family home & roots are in Grand Case, a beautiful village on the French side of the island. The house, built by my mother, was completely destroyed along with the homes of my grandparents, 2 sisters and several other relatives. The family home is not just a house its part of our heritage, our future and the gathering place for family reunions and events. Thankfully all of my family members are OK and that’s all that matters. Everything else can be rebuilt or replaced…….we are truly grateful and blessed.
The picture on the front page of the campaign shows the street in front of my moms after Hurricane Irma, this the before picture.
My family has always been active in the community. My mother, now deceased, dedicated her life to serving the community of Grand Case and was affectionetly known as “Madame Mayor." She was recognized for her work by the President of France and honored with the Order of National Merit for her service to the country and community. My father also served & protected the community for 30 years as a member of the police force and later as police chief. In recognition, the main boulevard in Grand Case bears his name. By example, I learned early on the importance of giving back.
I will be managing the campaign and distribute the funds collected through local & credible organizations in Grand Case. Names of selected organizatins will be posted in future updates.
Donated funds will be used to:
- Purchase desperately needed basic necessities and to help cover the cost of shipping. Items will be collected and shipped by our partner, St. Martin Relief. Collection Center: New London, CT. is our US home base. For those living in the area, the location is at the Martin Center on Broad Street (back of building - take driveway to the right of the front of building). Hours are on Monday/Wednesday/Friday 4 PM - & 7 PM. Drop off donations of non-perishable food items, clothing, small kitchen items, linens, towels, kitchen utensils, toiletries, diapers, baby formula, first aid items, cleaning supplies etc. Special thanks to Mayor Passero and Tommy Major for their assistance.
- Provide school supplies for students & classrooms.
- Help repair the town’s cultural center, the heart of the community and main facility for community meetings and events.
- Assist with repairing damages to St Mary of the Sea Church, the only church in Grand Case.
- We expect to identify other needs in the community. Additions to the projects listed above will be posted in campaign updates.
Rebuilding and recovery will take months, most likely years but with your help, hard work and lots of prayers............we will get there.
Please support my GoFundMe by making a donation and sharing the campaign with your network. No amount is too small and every dollar helps! Check back for updates and pictures of our progress.
Thanks for your support and generosity. God Bless.
DonationsSee top donations
- Victoria Pellot
- Rotary Friends
- Grace Silagi
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more