First of all, we've got a matching grant opportunity (with a deadline), so this campaign is to help us meet our match by Nov 1! And now, here's some backstory:
The state of Maine recently signed into law the, "Act To Ensure Non-Discriminatory Treatment of Public, Educational and Governmental Access Channels by the Cable Operator" or what is now being called the "PEG Non-Discrimination" or "PEG Equal Rights" law.
This law is under attack. The Internet and Television Association (also known as the NCTA) has filed suit over the newly enacted law in order to avoid following through on these requirements. You can help CTAM by donating here to their legal fund. Let's preserve this legal precedent for Maine, so we can spread these equal treatment practices to PEG stations across the country.
The five major actions carried out by this law are:
1. Cable Services Providers must carry local PEG stations on all basic subscriber tiers and packages
2. Cable Service Providers cannot downgrade signal quality if PEG stations are sending an HD signal.
3. No 'slamming.' Local PEG stations must be placed in the same numerical range with other local network affiliate stations.
4. Local PEG content/data must receive equal treatment in all electronic program guides and digital menus
5. PEG organizations must be provided with a direct point of contact to resolve issues related to PEG signal quality.
So here's the scoop: Cablecast Community Media will be matching up to $1000 in donations for CTAM's legal fund. We appreciate ANY donations at ANY level that help us get to $1000 by Nov 1, but we won’t stop there! We don’t know how long this battle will last. Any support above and beyond our match will give us a stronger position to protect this law. If your situation/tax status precludes you from supporting us via this platform, you may reach out to us at email@example.com for alternative ways to support.