The Kansas City Firefighters will be out boot blocking and collecting money this Memorial Day weekend for the Fountain and Memorial Park at W. 31st and Broadway. ￼￼
Kansas City Firefighters Fountain and Memorial was Installed in 1991.
Description: This fountain located at the south end of Penn Valley Park to pay tribute to the men and women of the Kansas City’s firefighters and memorialize those who have given their lives in the line of duty. The fountain features two bronze figures surrounded by 48 streams of water falling into an 80-foot wide basin. A bronze large than life sculpture of a firefighter with his head bowed is directly to the north of the fountain. Behind the sculpture consists of two large, segmented, curved ‘walls’, each consisting of a double row of perforated aluminum panels, mounted on a low limestone wall. Solid aluminum plaques will be mounted on one side, etched with the names of fallen firefighters.
The perforated aluminum panels are lit from inside with blue LED lights. The blue light is intended to create a calming and peaceful atmosphere, and to symbolize knowledge, integrity, seriousness, reliability and trust.
Six firefighters died suddenly in a huge explosion in 1988 and the community was spurred to support the campaign to create the fountain and the memorial tribute to all firefighters.
Immediate Needs: Fountain
· Pressure Test Fountain · Perform Static Water Test · Scope re-circulation Piping · Ground Sculpture within Fountain · Reseal all joints · Clean dirt and replace trench grates · NO SWIMMING signage
Immediate Needs: Fountain Vault
· Install new locking access doors · Install new telescoping ladder · Portable hoist and footings for safer basket removal · New auto fill system · Install new 6” drain valve · Replace seals and bearings on existing pumps
Immediate Needs: Memorial Circle
· Remove and store sculpture · Reseal all joints · Remove and replace existing concrete base of sculpture · Reinstall sculpture · Clean granite plinths · Clean concrete walls · Remove all existing sealant joints and install new backer rods and sealant
Immediate Needs: Memorial Wall
· Restore 2 aluminum panels that have graffiti · Clean stone veneer with masonry cleaner
Immediate Needs: Site & Landscape
· Fasten & lock lighting transformer boxes · Install in grade junction box for exposed wiring · Secure receptacle covers · Replace sidewalk sections that are low or tripping hazards · Extend existing sidewalk along 31st to Pennsylvania Ave. · Install 4 ADA compliant curb ramps · Remove graffiti on benches · Clean debris from air intake & exhaust · Secure & lock grating over intake · Stake crooked trees · Remove concerning landscaping & replace with low plantings · Trim locust branches