I am Lisa Robertson, Owner & founder of I Am Yogi Studios, a Queens-based virtual Yoga Studio for Women of Color. In 2020, I opened I Am Yogi Studios with the intent to serve the black community with a resource that was not readily available to us. At five months pregnant and suffering from depression, my nearest options for yoga classes were Queens Blvd and Long Island City. Although I traveled to find peace, I felt like I penetrated their space with my blackness. The practice of Yoga saved my life, but the lack of access to women like myself became the bigger problem. Two years later, we've grown our network to 350 black women, trained and certified ten yoga instructors, launched our very own Yoga apparel and accessories line and been honored with a citation for our advocacy for women’s health and wellness.
Like many entrepreneurs in the pandemic, Most Yoga studios were forced to close their brick & mortars and turn to the virtual world. The levels of stress and anxiety only spiked with the covid numbers. Therefore, Yoga practices have become more prominent. New students are looking for their oasis as the world gives us more access. It is with great honor that we announce our next steps to opening our first shared yoga space. The intention is for students to return to consistent practices and for practitioners to grow their clientele and businesses without the stress of overhead. Here's what you can expect
- A 5-star 'yoga lounge' experience: renovated hardwood floors, new light fixtures, floor-to-ceiling mirrors, refurbished windows for natural lighting, Green plants and an awning.
- Seasonal outdoor lounge
- A separate meditation room
- A mini retail yoga store with accessories
- A cafe with vendor's goods
- An accessible site to book your room with no hassle
- Access to props and a crew to maintain a clean and safe environment.
To learn more about our mission, click here