Help preserve North Dakota pioneer prairie church (and final resting place of world-famous economist, Mancur Olson Jr.) for use as a regional cultural and social center. Any donation, even twenty or thirty dollars and beyond, is valuable. If you don't donate, it would be great if you could share the fundraiser to help spread the word.
The Historic Grue Church North Dakota's fundraising goal is to preserve and transform the Norwegian Grue Evangelical Lutheran Church structure in Traill County, North Dakota. It will become an independent center celebrating the community's heritage and culture while retaining its sacred space architecture.
A new roof, external painting of the building and restoration of the scalloped steeple are the first steps. Next, a larger phased restoration and adaptive reuse plan will occur. Recent donations have supported a new roof in 2022 and new funds will be used for the exterior paint job and window repair in the summer of 2023.
Friends and families of the church descendants, community members, preservationists and advocates for rural church restorations and adaptations, historians, genealogists, Norwegian-Americans, friends from Grue Church in Norway, organizations and interested donors are invited to contribute. Funding from North Dakota Council on the Arts and American Scandinavian Foundation has been granted to start cultural programming.
Historic Grue Church (formed in 2020) is a subsidiary of Buxton in Bloom non-profit (established 2008). It is separate from Grue Church Cemetery Committee, with no co-mingling of funds with either area.
The Historic Grue Church is its own entity. Please join us in saving and transforming this beautiful structure.
Contributions to "Buxton in Bloom/Historic Grue Church" are tax deductible and can be mailed directly to Buxton in Bloom/Historic Grue Church at the following address:
Buxton in Bloom/Historic Grue Church
% First State Bank
423 Broadway (PO Box 68)
Buxton ND 58218
501(c)(3) EIN 26-0108241
History of Grue Church
On March 17, 1879, sixty-three people met at the home of Knut Rauk to form the Norwegian Grue Evangelical Lutheran Congregation. For the next twelve years, they met in various private homes and schools until December 19, 1891, when Jakob Evanson Fevold sold a portion a quarter of a section in Stavanger Township to the congregation. The building was built by Jorgen Faleide and opened in 1891. More information coming...........
Photograph by Sharon Watson