Founded in 1976, following a meeting to discuss initiations aimed at supporting the less fortunate in other countries, Habitat for Humanity has built; rehabilitated and repaired homes for millions of people in thousands of communities across the world.
Since a young age, we’ve both dreamt of travelling the world to help communities in any way we could. In October this year, we will fulfil this dream by flying to Malawi, Africa; to build houses and educate the local community as part of Habitat for Humanity Volunteer Team.
Our Journey to Africa has resulted in us finding opportunities for fundraising events and personal development (or, some would say punishment) while gaining much needed financial support. We’ve set some lofty goals we wish to achieve before our departure, including giving up alcohol each for 4 months, holding a trivia night, minimising our personal belongings by holding a car boot sale, and a more challenging quest of completing a Triathlon in May. We aim to use the later fundraising effort to kick start our Habitat for Humanity journey. As this is both our first time completing a Triathlon, we aren’t aiming for super star finishes, however, strive to train and give our best to honour your support.
We appreciate our target is a substantial amount, so we hope the below breakdown will provide you with an understanding of how your hard earned cash is supporting us, the work of Habitat for Humanity and more importantly, the people of Malawi.
Goal to Reach: $8,000, which includes:
· Finances the building project;
· Contributes towards our return flights from Ireland to Africa (we will personally be covering the cost of our flights for Australia-Ireland);
· Facilitates training to the people of Malawi;
· Food, water and accommodation.
How your money helps the people of Malawi
· In Malawi, 4 out of 5 families live in poorly built homes made of mud bricks, dirt floors and grass thatched roofs. Homes constantly need repair and families are at high risk of disease.
· The poorest are worst affected, including the 1.4 million children who are orphaned or vulnerable, largely as a result of the HIV/AIDS epidemic.
· Building safe homes and improving the living conditions of families in need.
· Support orphaned and vulnerable children and their families.
· Facilitating training on HIV and malaria prevention.
Asking for money is not something we enjoy, however, many friends and family have asked how they can give. While support through GoFundMe is one way, we are open to any form of sponsorships, no matter how big or small. Please contact us directly if you would like to discuss further.
Above all, we thank you for your love, support and encouragement during our journey, it provides great motivation for us to train hard, accomplish our goals and build safe homes for families in need in Malawi.
Alicia and Katya Holker
Habitat for Humanity Malawi Volunteers 2018.
DonationsSee top donations
- Eoghan Larkin
- Dan Nouwens
- Shaun Hardman
- Daniel Haynes
- Wanida Hockey
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more