2023 Fundraising Project
Hello BGT Family, Friends, and Supporters-
My co-founder, Michelle, and I started hiking eight years ago to improve our mental health and get outside. From Angeles National Forest to Yosemite National Park, I noticed that often when I hiked, I was the only Black woman on the trail. I took to Instagram and started posting my adventures and started to find an outdoor community of Black women who were out there breaking barriers. I was happy to see their excitement about the outdoors but disappointed that there was not the same community for Black women in Los Angeles. And so, in 2017, Black Girls Trekkin’ was born.
Since that time, we’ve created a strong community by:
· Hosting over 150 hikes,
· Hosting 3 camping trips,
· Hosting 15 outdoor events,
· Partnering with over 25 organizations/brands,
· And have had over 600 people attend our events!
In 2023 we’re looking forward to expanding to more cities and states.
We are now an official 501c3 Non-Profit Organization which will allow us to grow Black Girls Trekkin’ into the organization we always dreamed it would be. We aspire to be an organization that creates outdoor programs and experiences to inspire Black women to pursue outdoor adventures with confidence, establish connections, recreate on the land with care, and rekindle a deep-rooted cultural relationship with nature.
We are launching a fundraising campaign to raise $20,000 before the end of the year.
With the funds we raise, we will:
- Host our first out-of-state camping event(s).
- Host our first out-of-state hike(s).
- Start the process of setting up BGT chapters in other states.
- Train our Adventure Leaders and ensure they have the knowledge and skills to lead outdoor excursions.
- Provide Adventure Leaders with a yearly stipend for their time and commitment to planning, scouting, and hosting hikes and events.
- Curate more outdoor programs and collaborations with other organizations and brands.
- Redesign our website so that it is more user-friendly.
- Create a functional shop with size-inclusive merchandise for members.
- Purchase much-needed gear for camping/overnight trips.
- Start putting together resources for a “gear closet” or “gear library” for members who do not have the resources to come on hikes/outdoor events.
- Hire a small staff to help with administrative needs.
Can you help us reach our goal?
Thank you for your time!
-Tiffany Tharpe (she/her)
CEO and Co-founder of Black Girls Trekkin Inc.
DonationsSee top donations
Become the first supporter
Your donation matters